Dual boot Win11 and Fedora. Want gaming on both, should i consider a different distro?

Corn323

Hey,

so currently I have a dual boot system with Win11 and Fedora.

I wanted to learn a new OS and Fedora was quite appealing for me, I also have a laptop with Pop_os installed, but I do not use it that often.

Maybe the questions below are amateurish so please don't be to harsh.

So layout of the drives is the main 2 TB SSD is partitioned for Windows (1.2TB) and Linux (800 GB).

Then there are 3 500GB SSDs and 1 1 TB SSD (from older PC's), those are used to install games on.

CPU = AMD Ryzen

GPU = AMD Radeon

I have installed steam on both OSes and assigned the drives for steam libraries in both instances.

So now to the problems: (All games I tried are gold or better according to ProtonDB, not all games in my library are)

- Between OS switching steam wants to update some games (update the whole game), and others just work on both, is there a way to prevent this from happening?

- Some games just do not want to start up. If I press play in Steam, it tries to launch the game and after a few seconds the button jumps back to play again.

I started steam via terminal and it just spit out: (for just one game, other games have different numbers)

ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 17698
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 17697
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 17696
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 17533
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 17531

So is there a way to start up the games? --> maybe I have forgotten something. Steam play is active and proton is tried at 7.0.3 and experimental.

I have tried google, but there are not that many solutions present, or I am incapable of describing the problem right.

Here I did not yet put to much effort in:

- Also not all games recognize the correct resolution of my screen and are capped at full hd (I have 3440x1440)

Would it be easier to create a dual boot system with Pop_os?

Maybe such issues are not present in a different Distro?

Hopefully someone can help.

Greeting

Corn

13 hours ago, Corn323 said:

Between OS switching steam wants to update some games ... is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Turn off steam play for unsupported games as a starter, and if there are games that never work on linux, move these to a "windows exclusive" steam library. Do the same for stuff that works better in linux (Elden Ring and CP2077 spring to mind). I also have my windows steam set-up to only update during times it's never booted, if you do that with both, you get to "decide" what gets updated for each system. My worst game for this is Grid Autosport, it's like a 4gig update (if I let it), but my steering wheel doesn't work in windows so it's really annoying.

Some games just do not want to start up.

Check the file permissions, I always have to `chmod [some user]:[some group] [steamlibrary] -R` if I installed/updated them in windows (it just doesn't do file permissions properly).

What filesystem are they installed on, I've not tested with the new ntfs3 drivers (kernel >=5.15.x), but it used to cause issues, and my stuff is on ext3 with ext2fsd in windows to make them mountable.

It could be some backend dependencies are missing in the steam package, if you install wine (or just wine-mono if it exists) and vkcube it should pull in everything needed (get the 32bit versions of these as well, if they exist)

Finally, I have a much smoother experience using the glorious eggroll proton versions*. The latest release looks like it may fix your resolution issues too (if it doesn't try running things in a borderless window.)

ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 17697

This is normal, steam is very wasteful, ignore it, I think it's something to do with the overlay trying to find the active PID of the game.

Would it be easier to create a dual boot system with Pop_os?

Maybe such issues are not present in a different Distro?

Well, the "steam linux runtime" is based on *buntu libraries, so it makes sense that some flavour of that is a good starting point.

Also the steamdeck runs on some Arch derivative (IIRC), so that makes sense too. Although Arch doesn't require Gentoo levels of "installing", it's not as simple as *buntu, the Arch Wiki is very good though.

Finally, for testing, there is a free game called "Floating Point". It runs natively in linux, and under proton, so it's good for testing your VK backend and proton version is OK.

*It's so easy to install, I find it hard to find instructions: Just extract them into ~/.local/share/Steam/compatibilitytools.d/ and restart steam.

Thank you for the reply.

According to linux it is fuseblk, but this seems to be the layer to communicate with NTFS (?)

Like I said, I am still learning this system.

So as a result on your input:

I turned off steam play for other games, and phasmophobia worked.

Wreckfest now gives the error: Steam must be running to play this game (SteamAPI_Init() failed)

Grip still does not want to load, same for CP2077.

With the Anti Cheat software on Insurgency it takes a long time to initialize.

For games like Trine still the wrong resolution is diplayed.

Floating point, starts, but then crashes.

With Death Stranding, it says it needs Windows 10 ... (maybe the installs are borked because I started with Windows).

But also that the Steam client might be in compatibility mode and I should restart.

Can that be a problem ?

I've also installed vulkan drivers (no vkcube on fedora)

Wine is installed.

I've installed Pop Os also, but there only floating point works, but I also did not really put the effort in.