Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First PC build

Budget (including currency): Best price/performance ideally around $1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Fusion 360 (Modeling complex parts + rendering), Blender (Rendering + maybe a bit of modeling but mostly importing models to render), VS Code (Nothing crazy here, just thought I would make a note of it), and finally . . . Minecraft! (Java, modded sometimes, interested in running shaders, would love to see RTX but I don't like bedrock edition enough to base the whole system around an RTX card.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have no parts. Monitor suggestions would be great (1440p ~120hz reasonably color accurate [not included in main budget]) I have all the other peripherals I need except a mousepad (lttstore.com tho). Upgrading from a sucky acer laptop with an i5-1035G1(4c/8t 1.2ghz-2.7ghz), and 8gb of the worlds slowest ram, no discrete graphics. Going to buy sometime around August hopefully but I don't plan on going with 13th gen intel as ddr5 seems to not be a very major upgrade from ddr4 currently, interested in next-gen ryzen but IDK how it will compare to intel. I don't particularly care about refresh rate as I'm quite used to ~40fps, I want to upgrade to 1440p though as 1080p is not very many.

Current list:

i7-12700f (Fusion is entirely CPU so going with a high performer here)

Noctua NH-D15S (I like the symmetrical look, what can I say)

ASRock H670 PG Riptide (Cheap, good features, don't need z690)

2x Patriot Viper Steel 16GB 3600Mhz C14 (Cheap, high performance, fusion seems to like ram, ddr5 is not a large enough performance improvement)

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Reliable, fast, I don't play AAA games, haven't even gotten through 200 gigs of my 512gb drive in my laptop)

GPU . . . Suggestions welcome, interested in doing some simulation stuff so more ram would be nice

NZXT H510 Flow (Nice aesthetic, good thermals, cheap)

EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650w 80+ Gold (IDK, cheap, modular, powerful enough, trusted brand, input welcome)

Windows (Going to try and get the product key from a broken laptop I have so I don't have to buy it, IDK if that will actually work, input welcome)

Noctua Chromax fans to replace the stock ones (would go IPPC 3000 rpm because I like the fan noise from Noctuas, I have a few for non-computer things, but they are more expensive for no real benefit)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JJbprD

I think it is a pretty good list, I found something somewhere on the internets as far as gpu but IDK if it will work out with the seller. I intentionally gave minimal info about what I found while providing enough for recommendations in case one of you aren't as kind as one would expect from a member of Linus' audience and tries to buy it.

Cowboy12 - Saved Part Lists - PCPartPicker

I added a closed loop water cooling system, you might not want to go with that if you just don't want to deal the small but defiantly there hassel it is to put it in, but other than that idk what card you're getting but make sure your PSU is enough to power both it and your cpu as well as the negliable amount from your ram. I also added a cheaper case that included fans and I think had decent airflow, but it is rgb so idk if you want that

1 minute ago, ABigIdiot said:

Cowboy12 - Saved Part Lists - PCPartPicker

I added a closed loop water cooling system, you might not want to go with that if you just don't want to deal the small but defiantly there hassel it is to put it in, but other than that idk what card you're getting but make sure your PSU is enough to power both it and your cpu as well as the negliable amount from your ram. I also added a cheaper case that included fans and I think had decent airflow, but it is rgb so idk if you want that

You might still wanna get the Noctua fans because i have no clue how loud those ones are, but if you want quiet i defintally recommend the water cooling system bc thats cooling my 5900x and its setting at 33 C idle rn

I'm not exactly sure how this is a 1k system without the gpu so I'm gonna rebuild it from the ground up.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rsvRzf

Although this list is ~100 over budget it includes the gpu which you don't have in your list.

This is what id go with.

Keeping the cpu because that seems to be your main priority with this pc build

Cheap cooler but it can cool fine 

A 12700f would be pushing it on a h670 board, even a "high end" one. Consider a b660 instead

Although you get dual rank with 4x8, I'd consider 2x16 for it being way cheaper as well as having upgradibility.

Cheap 1tb m.2

Really id want to recommend  a nvidia card but a 3050 is far over the budget. A previous gen nvidia might be fine but really it might get outclassed by amd graphics since the 2060s design has been upgraded pretty massively iirc from 2k to 3k cards.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8mW978

3600 c14 is b die, overpriced garbage till you overclock it to better speeds like 4800+ c16 ~1.7v or 4000 c13 ~1.75v, also cut cost on everything while keeping the same performance, even upgraded the psu and ram to 32gb

If fusion wants fast ram rather than more ram go get yourself an msi z690-a/p and bare pcb crucial 2666/3200 bin 8gb sticks off ebay making sure you have a better bin of micron rev e (c9bjz for 2666, d9wfl for 3200 though these are the best bin ics), theyll overclock to 4600+ c18/17 if you tune em right aka just steal someone elses settings xD (which actually does work since rev e is very consistent so you may even be able to copy 5000 settings and make adjustments to em), drawback is the rams needing a fan over em since this is 1.6v+ territory (which is perfectly safe but id advise going >1.7v) and aesthetics but real men prefer performance over aesthetucs 😉

56 minutes ago, ABigIdiot said:

What I found is pretty similar in performance without rt at a significantly lower price but thanks for the suggestion in case it doesn’t work out.

17 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8mW978

3600 c14 is b die, overpriced garbage till you overclock it to better speeds like 4800+ c16 ~1.7v or 4000 c13 ~1.75v, also cut cost on everything while keeping the same performance, even upgraded the psu and ram to 32gb

If fusion wants fast ram rather than more ram go get yourself an msi z690-a/p and bare pcb crucial 2666/3200 bin 8gb sticks off ebay making sure you have a better bin of micron rev e (c9bjz for 2666, d9wfl for 3200 though these are the best bin ics), theyll overclock to 4600+ c18/17 if you tune em right aka just steal someone elses settings xD (which actually does work since rev e is very consistent so you may even be able to copy 5000 settings and make adjustments to em), drawback is the rams needing a fan over em since this is 1.6v+ territory (which is perfectly safe but id advise going >1.7v) and aesthetics but real men prefer performance over aesthetucs 😉

Could you explain more? Specifically b die, why I would need z690, why bare crucial is better, as well as if it is possible to get lower cas latency with high speed. Also I think fusion would do better with more ram but finding 128gb of 3200mhz ram at a decent price is impossible.

43 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

I'm not exactly sure how this is a 1k system without the gpu so I'm gonna rebuild it from the ground up.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rsvRzf

Although this list is ~100 over budget it includes the gpu which you don't have in your list.

This is what id go with.

Keeping the cpu because that seems to be your main priority with this pc build

Cheap cooler but it can cool fine 

A 12700f would be pushing it on a h670 board, even a "high end" one. Consider a b660 instead

Although you get dual rank with 4x8, I'd consider 2x16 for it being way cheaper as well as having upgradibility.

Cheap 1tb m.2

Really id want to recommend  a nvidia card but a 3050 is far over the budget. A previous gen nvidia might be fine but really it might get outclassed by amd graphics since the 2060s design has been upgraded pretty massively iirc from 2k to 3k cards.

Does b660 have better vrms? From my understanding h670 is between b660 and z690. I mainly went with 4x8 because I don’t like the numbers 16 and 64. I think amd radeon 6000 has an edge vs rtx 2000, both groups are rather pricey however, and outside of rt older, higher-tier, cards seem to perform better. For productivity, an rtx 3000 card would be incredible but I’d have to find a ludicrous deal or wait till rtx 4000 to drop the price of 3000.

45 minutes ago, Darth Scoob said:

Could you explain more? Specifically b die, why I would need z690, why bare crucial is better, as well as if it is possible to get lower cas latency with high speed. Also I think fusion would do better with more ram but finding 128gb of 3200mhz ram at a decent price is impossible.

Other chipsets than z690 have vccsa limit for non k cpu so rip ram oc

B die is trash because its stupid expensive and dont really get you that much performance vs price even at ideal ~1.7v oc, crucial bare pcb is straight up cheaper than even cheap 3200 c16 kits while demolishing them with ludicrous freq

If you actually just need more ram than speed then just buy some random 16gb bare pcb sticks and oc to 3200/3600 c16 (though pay attention to ic as you dont want a garbage one that wont do atleast 3200), though there are also new 3200 c16 32gb kits going for dirt cheap like the one i put in my pcpp so may not be worth the hassle with going for a bare pcb ram unless theyre dirt cheap (<80$) or just outspeed by overclock (unlikely since even common ics like 16gbit mjr do 3800+)

1 hour ago, Darth Scoob said:

Does b660 have better vrms? From my understanding h670 is between b660 and z690

Yea I think I'm way too tired lol. I thought you put in a h610 board not a h670 board. I even typed h670 so i dont know what happened there. H670 boards are basically the intermediate between b660 and z690. I had to review my own post to make sure I didn't get anything else wrong lol.

1 hour ago, Ryuikko said:

Yea I think I'm way too tired lol. I thought you put in a h610 board not a h670 board. I even typed h670 so i dont know what happened there. H670 boards are basically the intermediate between b660 and z690. I had to review my own post to make sure I didn't get anything else wrong lol.

You’re good mate, thanks for your advice.

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Other chipsets than z690 have vccsa limit for non k cpu so rip ram oc

B die is trash because its stupid expensive and dont really get you that much performance vs price even at ideal ~1.7v oc, crucial bare pcb is straight up cheaper than even cheap 3200 c16 kits while demolishing them with ludicrous freq

If you actually just need more ram than speed then just buy some random 16gb bare pcb sticks and oc to 3200/3600 c16 (though pay attention to ic as you dont want a garbage one that wont do atleast 3200), though there are also new 3200 c16 32gb kits going for dirt cheap like the one i put in my pcpp so may not be worth the hassle with going for a bare pcb ram unless theyre dirt cheap (<80$) or just outspeed by overclock (unlikely since even common ics like 16gbit mjr do 3800+)

Ok, I think I get what you are saying but please correct me if I’m wrong. I thought intel updated the ram oc ability on the chipset so that any chipset other than h610 can do it, or is it that z690 can go higher than b660/h670? Either way, as a z690 board would be ~$60 more than my original spec I would probably choose slower memory and a lower end board for more gpu budget or more memory. I still don’t quite get which memory chips are better than others, if you know of a good explanation article/video that would be greatly appreciated. I did find some well priced 32gb sticks that in the future could be added onto with more budget to improve performance, they are 3200mhz (because that seems like the minimum decent speed) anc cl16 (becasue that is somewhere around ddr4 base spec I think, and gets that nice 10ns response time) https://pcpartpicker.com/product/k2mFf7/corsair-vengeance-lpx-64-gb-2-x-32-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-cmk64gx4m2e3200c16

If you could tell me either how to find out if these have good chips or tell me if these have good chips that would be great.

Thank you for your patience, and willingness to assist me, it is greatly appreciated.

1 minute ago, Darth Scoob said:

a z690 board would be ~$60 more than my original spec

H670 pg riptide is 140$ and the msi z690-p is 160$

2 minutes ago, Darth Scoob said:

If you could tell me either how to find out if these have good chips or tell me if these have good chips that would be great.

If you are running stock then no it doesnt matter, also most likely just gonna be common ics like aformentioned 16gbit hynix mjr so should be capable of 3600-3800 overclock wise, but imo if you arent doing ludicrous overclock be it freq or timings its just not worth it unless you find some plug and play settings off someone on reddit or something

23 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

H670 pg riptide is 140$ and the msi z690-p is 160$

If you are running stock then no it doesnt matter, also most likely just gonna be common ics like aformentioned 16gbit hynix mjr so should be capable of 3600-3800 overclock wise, but imo if you arent doing ludicrous overclock be it freq or timings its just not worth it unless you find some plug and play settings off someone on reddit or something

I did not see the board for $160, I will have to look into that. It is always nice to see someone using complex language like aformentioned, too bad nobody says whence anymore though. I do think that an oc wouldn’t be too important for this build as it is mostly aimed at productivity, and to my knowledge ram speed is only really going to affect gaming performance, and even then not as much on intel. I think the increased stability of stock ram would outweigh the minor performance gains to be had. Thanks for guiding me to better ram and showing me that motherboard, I may use it, I’m not sure yet.

12 minutes ago, Darth Scoob said:

I did not see the board for $160, I will have to look into that. It is always nice to see someone using complex language like aformentioned, too bad nobody says whence anymore though. I do think that an oc wouldn’t be too important for this build as it is mostly aimed at productivity, and to my knowledge ram speed is only really going to affect gaming performance, and even then not as much on intel. I think the increased stability of stock ram would outweigh the minor performance gains to be had. Thanks for guiding me to better ram and showing me that motherboard, I may use it, I’m not sure yet.

Yea ram oc is pretty much just flexing your fast rams, i mean i doubt many ppl can run  1520mhz ddr2 esp on a weird 1x3 config like me, unfortunately havent gotten any decent ddr3 speeds yet (3000+) but im working on it, havent touched ddr4 unfortunately but itd be fun to get a near 5000mhz oc on 8x4 config

Performance benifit is mostly seen with ludicrous freq/timing and/or on an apu where igpu relies on system ram, and 3800 is a pretty worthless oc imo and only worth doing with c13 or plug and play steal settings from someone else

Also stability is not gonna be much of an issue as long as you arent doing ludicrous 4800+ oc that falls apart as soon as temp reaches 40c or something, hci memtest, tm5, prime95 large ffts are good softwares to use for ram stress test