PC randomly shuts down, power button stays on and doesn't respond to input - PSU needs to be to reset for the PC to power on.

JaserTheBugChaser

So the problem that I have started about hmmm 1.5 - 2 months ago (even though I'd built this machine mid 2020). 

It can be 1 minute into a PC session or 1 hour into a PC-gaming session where the PC will just shut down randomly and the power indicator LED will stay on indefinately and will not respond to being pressed - I'd literally have to unplug the PC or just turn the PSU off and on at the back.. turn it back on and the same problem occurs. 

I've googled around and it seems that the most likely suspect is a crappy motherboard, or perhaps a PSU... 

My PC comprises of the following:

- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 

- RX5700XT Sapphire 

- Cooler Master V 650W Power Supply, 80+ Gold.

- ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-Plus (Wi-Fi) MB.

- Corsair Vengeance LPX Ryzen 16GB (2x8GB), PC4-25600 (3200MHz) DDR4.

People are reporting all sorts of stuff from changing the GPU to overclocking the RAM.

My guess is that it would have something to do with the MOBO, since this problem seems to be really common with the AMD socket mobos especially ASUS ones.. 

Perhaps getting a new MOBO is a place to start?

Do you have any overclocks or PBO enabled? I'm having a similar problem with my overclocked 5600G system, everytime I walk past a certain spot in Diablo Immortal, the system just power cycles and hangs on POST. The issue goes away when I disable all overclocks and PBO, but I don't know what causes the problem, my overclock is stable in every other application and Diablo Immortal doesn't even stress the CPU very much, I think it might be some sort of power spike and protection kicks in.

Yeah great, so now i can't even turn it on without it just turning off immediately after.

19 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

Do you have any overclocks or PBO enabled? I'm having a similar problem with my overclocked 5600G system, everytime I walk past a certain spot in Diablo Immortal, the system just power cycles and hangs on POST. The issue goes away when I disable all overclocks and PBO, but I don't know what causes the problem, my overclock is stable in every other application and Diablo Immortal doesn't even stress the CPU very much, I think it might be some sort of power spike and protection kicks in.

Hmmm mate i don't overclock anything - it does it by it self for whatever reason.. 

Update:

- so light night I ended up unplugging the PC and taking it apart sort of (removed GPU and removed and replaced some MOBO cables again), made sure everything is firmly in place, and it appears to have done the trick... so far it has NOT turned off like that, although i'll keep everybody updated, since i know that people are bound to google search this topic.