need help with build, new

litearkg

Budget (including currency): 
$1800 USD

USA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 
gaming in general, most modern games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hfpgzf
just wondering if this is good for its price and if there are any outstanding issues with it!

Honestly it looks fine. I would get the non k to save yourself the money since you have a b660 which can't oc.

You could also probably get a cheaper aircooler that would be sufficient for the cpu, as well as getting a slightly better case, as from what I've heard the h510 flow isn't the nicest case to work in. Consider the 4000d airflow, p300 mesh, or lian li mesh instead.

12 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Honestly it looks fine. I would get the non k to save yourself the money since you have a b660 which can't oc.

You could also probably get a cheaper aircooler that would be sufficient for the cpu, as well as getting a slightly better case, as from what I've heard the h510 flow isn't the nicest case to work in. Consider the 4000d airflow, p300 mesh, or lian li mesh instead.

wait im wondering, because I get more cores and clock speed out of the K, and thats why I think that i was going with it. Also, is ryzen better than intel? some of my friends are saying it is but im not sure tbh, Im not too experienced.

6 minutes ago, litearkg said:

wait im wondering, because I get more cores and clock speed out of the K, and thats why I think that i was going with it. Also, is ryzen better than intel?

The only series in intel that gives more cores is their i5 12600 cpus with the (k)s giving 4 extra e cores compared to their non k counterparts. Imo ryzen is only worth it with their super low end chips and their super high end chips. Everything else I would recommend intel.

5 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

The only series in intel that gives more cores is their i5 12600 cpus with the (k)s giving 4 extra e cores compared to their non k counterparts. Imo ryzen is only worth it with their super low end chips and their super high end chips. Everything else I would recommend intel.

so should i go for a 5800x3d and tank the price? will it be better? or just stick with the i7?

9 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

would this be better? I put this together with ryzen and ill go down from the 3070 ti to 3070 if i need a better mobo and i think I may.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bzpgzf

2 minutes ago, litearkg said:

so should i go for a 5800x3d and tank the price? will it be better? or just stick with the i7?

I wouldn't get the 5800x3d because that was the last chip on the ryzen am4 platform. While the raptor lake series will be on the same lga1700 socket. I'd stick with the i7 for price to performance.

2 hours ago, Ryuikko said:

I wouldn't get the 5800x3d because that was the last chip on the ryzen am4 platform. While the raptor lake series will be on the same lga1700 socket. I'd stick with the i7 for price to performance.

i think ill just honestly stick with the first build, i think it will be best all round unless there is something outstanding.

23 minutes ago, litearkg said:

think ill just honestly stick with the first build, i think it will be best all round unless there is something outstanding.

I still wouldn't recommend the k version of the cpu, with a b660 at the very least. The difference of performance between .1 GHz of the perfromance boost clock, which they will both run given adequate cooling, will be basically imperceivable.

30 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

I still wouldn't recommend the k version of the cpu, with a b660 at the very least. The difference of performance between .1 GHz of the perfromance boost clock, which they will both run given adequate cooling, will be basically imperceivable.

ok thanks!

wait, atleast for me im seeing that the difference is 1.5 ghz.. am i wrong?

1 minute ago, litearkg said:

wait, atleast for me im seeing that the difference is 1.5 ghz.. am i wrong?

oh, i think pc part picker is using the difference between the base clocks. if cool enough, it will run turbo and go 4.9 yes?

6 minutes ago, litearkg said:

, i think pc part picker is using the difference between the base clocks. if cool enough, it will run turbo and go 4.9 yes?

Yes. On 12th gen cpus, they have a precision boost that will raise the core clocks to the highest that they are rated i.e 4.9 vs 5. Provided that the chip has enough cooling, it will run to that clock speed.