What cable standard do I use to connect my PC to my TV area when running cables through the wall?

Hello everyone

I tried to do my own research but I am unsure whether the conclusions I made are correct. The general situation is that I want to run a cable from my PC to my TV area. If I'd run the cable directly straight through the room it would be about 5-7m distance, but as the cable is supposed to run inside the walls it has to be longer. I want to be able to play / watch stuff on my TV in 4K in the future. I don't have the TV yet so that makes options a bit easier. Preferably I could also hook up the sound system to it in the future.

My options as far as I see them and the difficulties / questions:

1. Steam Link with a CAT-6e cable: I bought one of the original Steam Links and have never really used it. I am not sure whether it is smartest option as it indirectly limits me to that product and Steam. Would I also lose access to HDR?

2. HDMI: For the 4K60Hz I'd need at least HDMI 2.0 better would be 2.1, but even active optical 2.1 cables barely reach 10m. So an active optical 2.0 HDMI cable would be an option.

3. DisplayPort: I would need a cable with the DP8K DisplayPort Cable certification to have HBR3 (High Bit Rate 3) or UHBR 10 (Ultra High Bit Rate 10). But the range of DP cables is even shorter and only a few TVs offer DP ports. I feel this is the worst option.

4. Thunderbolt: This is where I got confused the most. It has the same port as USB-C, so I can I use the USB-C ports of my motherboard (Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard) or do I plug it into my GPU? Then I just use a Thunderbolt to DP or HDMI adapter next to the TV? But I think apart from being a bit unintuitive upon first sight I think this is my best option.

What did I miss here and what is my best choice?

Thank you for your help in advance.

I have a 20m HDMI (pretty sure version 2.0) running through my wall to my Samsung 4k and have had zero issues with displays, although lately i have had a HDCP error occasionally pop up, I suspect the cable is starting to fail. it's 5+ years old tho.

I'm better at fixing people than PC's... For now. 

Remember to quote or tag my posts if you want me to see your reply I don't always follow the threads.

2 hours ago, MedicTim78 said:

I have a 20m HDMI (pretty sure version 2.0) running through my wall to my Samsung 4k and have had zero issues with displays, although lately i have had a HDCP error occasionally pop up, I suspect the cable is starting to fail. it's 5+ years old tho.

Is the 20m HDMI cable an active or passive powered one?

Active, I’m am 99% sure I had to custom order it, it has been a while. Local shops didn’t have anything in that length near me. 

I'm better at fixing people than PC's... For now. 

Remember to quote or tag my posts if you want me to see your reply I don't always follow the threads.

3 hours ago, TheCraddingGuy said:

1. Steam Link with a CAT-6e cable: I am not sure whether it is smartest option as it indirectly limits me to that product and Steam. 

You actually aren't limited to Steam. You can add non Steam games to Steam, although I've never tried this method. However, I have exited Steam big picture and just used the Steam link to stream the Windows desktop to play other games in my living room from my PC. For example I made the mistake of purchasing Gears 4 IIRC from the Microsoft store, I used my Steam Link to play that in the living room with my son co-op. Steam Link, doesn't mean limited to Steam. Steam will make things easier though, but I primarily buy things from Steam so no big deal.