Intermittent WiFi issues

Aethalis

Hello.

I appear to have intermittent WiFi issues. The issues began ~1 week ago (I have used this system for around 7 months now).

The issue manifests itself when:

• I'm in a Discord voice chat
    • I have confirmed that people can apparently hear me fine in Discord, but everyone else's voices are choppy and occasionally cannot be heard at all (not because they're robotic, there is no audio even when they're talking.
  • Playing League of Legends
    • Connection is very intermittent.
    • Sometimes it's fine and I get anywhere from 30 - 60ms ping, other times my connection drops out for seconds at a time.
    • Often-times the game is unplayable due to connection dropping out for up to 10 seconds at a time.
  • Steam
    • Steam will notify me that it cannot connect to the server (via the friends list thing).

What causes the issue is unknown. It is likely not the specific network it is connected to, as I have switched to a mobile hotspot while playing LoL and the same issues seemed to persist. 

I have attempted to uninstall any recently installed programs, reinstalled WLAN drivers from the Gigabyte website, and updated Windows. 

My specs are:

• Windows 10 64-bit Home Edition
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2 rev 1.0 (BIOS version F16a)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 
    • Cryorig M9a
  • 2x8GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 MHz
  • Galax RTX 3060 Ti
  • Silverstone Strider 750W 80+ PSU
  • WD Blue m.2 SSD 500GB
  • Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB

If your thinking it could be software or drivers, best to do a system restore to before this issue came in.

If that does nothing, and you're still seeing the same behavior on multiple networks and WANs then you need to to some troubleshooting.

First things first, ping test:

Open command prompt, just search for it in windows search. Then run this command:

Ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Just let that run for a good long while in the background, even play games with it running. If you notice the issue, alt + tab out the game and press ctrl + C while the command prompt window is in focus.

Post that to us, all the detail is handy, scroll up and copy about 100 likes of pings and the results.

If it's so frequent you can run a command while the loss is happening, run this command:

Pathping 8.8.8.8

This will take 300 seconds or so to run, post those results, but the issue must be happening during that 300 second processing time.

23 minutes ago, Cafuddled said:

If your thinking it could be software or drivers, best to do a system restore to before this issue came in.

If that does nothing, and you're still seeing the same behavior on multiple networks and WANs then you need to to some troubleshooting.

Open command prompt, just search for it in windows search. Then run this command:

Ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Just let that run for a good long while in the background, even play games with it running. If you notice the issue, alt + tab out the game and press ctrl + C while the command prompt window is in focus.

Post that to us, all the detail is handy, scroll up and copy about 100 likes of pings and the results.

If it's so frequent you can run a command while the loss is happening, run this command:

Pathping 8.8.8.8

This will take 300 seconds or so to run, post those results, but the issue must be happening during that 300 second processing time.

Thanks. Will do.

On 6/17/2022 at 11:12 PM, Cafuddled said:

Ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Pathping 8.8.8.8

So I did a pathping while the issue was occurring, and nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can tell?

I ran the command while I died after walking in and dying while lagging. This was followed by a few short disconnects (to League).

image.png.12923b6a84783fb3ee559703ea2425b8.png

18 hours ago, Aethalis said:

So I did a pathping while the issue was occurring, and nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can tell?

I ran the command while I died after walking in and dying while lagging. This was followed by a few short disconnects (to League).

image.png.12923b6a84783fb3ee559703ea2425b8.png

Likely missed it, but maybe bit. To be sure, just do the ping -t and leave it running while you game, you get some loss then alt + tab out the came and Ctrl + C the test to get the results.