Is this configuration altogether compatible and well though out?

brbolikus

Budget (including currency): around $1100

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: schoolwork, beginner game development, gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): A monitor is included in the price. I'm planing to buy this ASAP, and it must be all locally available components.

I've been asked by a friend to put together a computer his son can use for school work. He's starting uni next year and is thinking of trying game development as a primary study. I've been able to come up with a configuration and we've talked it through, agreeing it's acceptable, but I'd just like to ask the experts here if there's a flaw in our judgement with any of the parts. So, here it is:

CPU: INTEL Core i5 12400F, 2500/4400 MHz, Socket 1700

GPU: Inno3D GeForce RTX 2060 TWIN X2, 6GB, GDDR6

MBO: ASROCK H610M-HDV/M.2 LGA1700 2x DDR4, H610M-HDV/M.2

RAM: PATRIOT 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR4, 3200 MHz, DIMM, Viper Steel, CL16

SSD: SAMSUNG SSD 980 500GB M.2 NVMe PCIe, MZ-V8V500BW

PWR: Xilence 500W Performance C, ATX 2.3.1

Case: Thermaltake H200 TG RGB Edition, ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: BenQ GW2780 FullHD IPS LED monitor

This totals to around $1116 locally, and is within the budget error margin.

Here are my main concerns:

1. Are these components compatible?
  2. Is there something missing?
  3. Are they going to fit into the case?
  4. Is the power supply going to cover it?
  5. Is the included CPU cooler, together with the ones in the GPU, power supply and the case going to be enough?
  6. Any other problems/thoughts/considerations I've failed to mention?

1. Everything should be compatible.

2. You didn't include a cooler. If you don't mind it being loud the cooler included with the CPU should be enough.

3. Yes, everything should fit. 

4. 500w is the bare minimum I'd get with a system like this, but preferably 600w or more and a better quality unit. This unit is garbage.

5. Yes. The CPU cooler might be a bit loud, so if you want silence get something like a Freezer 34.

6. You can probably find an RX 6600 for cheaper than that 2060, and it's also faster. The 980 is usually overpriced af, something like a P2 or SN570 is usually a better option. The PSU and motherboard could also be better. If you can share links to some stores I could help with choosing better parts.

@Pixelfie, thank you for your response. Here's what I have to say about your answers:

Great!

2. You didn't include a cooler. If you don't mind it being loud the cooler included with the CPU should be enough.

I was counting on the stock CPU cooler. If the noise starts to be a problem, we can always buy something quieter.

Also great!

4. 500w is the bare minimum I'd get with a system like this, but preferably 600w or more and a better quality unit. This unit is garbage.

I am aware this is a bare minimum. Here's what I found:

https://www.hardsoft.hr/xilence-500w-performance-c-atx-231-aktivan-pfc-1xpcie-4xsata-204-pina-120mm-ventilator-crno/51439/product/

This comes at about $54, but seeing all the "look at this crazy cheap power supply" videos LTT has been pushing out, I've come to not care as much for the quality of it. I'm probably wrong here, so what would you recommend?

5. Yes. The CPU cooler might be a bit loud, so if you want silence get something like a Freezer 34.

As I've said, we'll cross this bridge when we get there...

6. You can probably find an RX 6600 for cheaper than that 2060, and it's also faster.

He was adamant about sticking with a Nvidia GPU. I didn't try to persuade him - subjective happiness is sometimes more important than objective truth, so I left it at that. Also, I found this GPU available for around $400, and the lowest I found the RX 6600 for is $50 more, and I'm already a bit over budget as it is.

https://www.hardsoft.hr/inno3d-geforce-rtx-2060-twin-x2-6gb-gddr6/135152/product

The 980 is usually overpriced af, something like a P2 or SN570 is usually a better option.

I found it for around $70 - is this a good price or is it overpriced?

https://www.hardsoft.hr/samsung-ssd-980-500gb-m2-nvme-pcie/131867/product/

The PSU and motherboard could also be better. If you can share links to some stores I could help with choosing better parts.

What would you recommend? Here's a site that aggregates offers in my country quite well, maybe you can find something I didn't:

https://www.nabava.net/

(Keep in mind some of the sites that offer components at a low price are sketchy at best and I'd rather not try to do business with them...)

2 hours ago, brbolikus said:

@Pixelfie, thank you for your response. Here's what I have to say about your answers:

Great!

I was counting on the stock CPU cooler. If the noise starts to be a problem, we can always buy something quieter.

Also great!

I am aware this is a bare minimum. Here's what I found:

https://www.hardsoft.hr/xilence-500w-performance-c-atx-231-aktivan-pfc-1xpcie-4xsata-204-pina-120mm-ventilator-crno/51439/product/

This comes at about $54, but seeing all the "look at this crazy cheap power supply" videos LTT has been pushing out, I've come to not care as much for the quality of it. I'm probably wrong here, so what would you recommend?

As I've said, we'll cross this bridge when we get there...

6. You can probably find an RX 6600 for cheaper than that 2060, and it's also faster.

He was adamant about sticking with a Nvidia GPU. I didn't try to persuade him - subjective happiness is sometimes more important than objective truth, so I left it at that. Also, I found this GPU available for around $400, and the lowest I found the RX 6600 for is $50 more, and I'm already a bit over budget as it is.

https://www.hardsoft.hr/inno3d-geforce-rtx-2060-twin-x2-6gb-gddr6/135152/product

The 980 is usually overpriced af, something like a P2 or SN570 is usually a better option.

I found it for around $70 - is this a good price or is it overpriced?

https://www.hardsoft.hr/samsung-ssd-980-500gb-m2-nvme-pcie/131867/product/

The PSU and motherboard could also be better. If you can share links to some stores I could help with choosing better parts.

What would you recommend? Here's a site that aggregates offers in my country quite well, maybe you can find something I didn't:

https://www.nabava.net/

(Keep in mind some of the sites that offer components at a low price are sketchy at best and I'd rather not try to do business with them...)

A PSU like a Corsair TX-M 550w or Bitfenix Whisper M 550w is much better. The PSU you chose will only cause problems, and worst case it could even kill components. Yes it's 25% more expensive but it's also like 10x as good. We will save some money later on the SSD which we could use for the PSU.

In that case the 2060 would be fine. Both seem to get similar fps/$. The 6600 does use less power.

An SSD like Crucial P2 500gb or Crucial MX500 500gb would be slightly faster and cheaper. We can use this money for the better PSU mentioned above.

The ASUS TUF GAMING B660M-E D4 would be a much better board but it also costs a bit more. If you want a cheap option get the MSI PRO H610M-B, but I would definitely get the B660. Also avoid ASRock, their recent boards have been pretty bad.