Looking for monitor (£400) M32Q vs M34WQ or other

FistOFun

Hey

My current set up is (see image) a 1-2 year old 27" main acer IPS monitor (25" wide) with a 6-8 year old 24" (maybe 22) iiyama as secondary. It's clamped to the banister enabling be to take advantage of the vesa mount, and also to hold my work laptop (I'm a dev).

I relatively recently changed job and they offer £400 (Technically they offer $500, but I live in the UK) to help set up your work from home set up, since I've been there long enough now I don't feel like I'm taking advantage of taking them up on the offer now, so decided to look for another decent monitor, replacing my iiyama with the acer

I'm currently looking at Gigabyte's M32Q (£350) and their M34WQ (£490 and spending some of my own money), with the intent to use it for work/gaming and might end up using it to watch more TV and films as time goes on. Because of the height adjustment I'm sure they will both fit. 

My questions
1) Subjective question, but would people recommend UW monitors over the standard ratio?

2) Would you recommend something else instead? (Ideally available from Currys as I can get discounts there so the £490 actually works out as around £446)

Thanks for any assistance.

PS

In case you are wondering about my... unorthodox setup. The loft is the only place I can work, the height clearance is such that if I sit up full straight my head touched the roof. The iiyama doesn't have any connectors to connect to the mac, so ends up being eclipsed by the mac screen when working (also I kind of like to use the trackpad mainly to swipe up), so I wanted it not too high up and it physically can't go lower. I also can't attach a mount to the back of my desk and its got a backing. Basically its mostly by necessity.

PXL_20220606_195110189.jpg

I'd suggest the LG 27GP850-B as a 27" option and the LG 32GP850-B as a 32" option. Both are excellent performers in their respective price class and under your budget.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

15 hours ago, FistOFun said:

Could I ask what particular draws you to the LG screens? (This said the RGB on the back is pretty rocking and I found having my wall back lit genuinely helps my mood).  Thank you for your response BTW.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-32gp850-b-vs-gigabyte-m32q/21826/26016?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

Remember to either quote or @Stahlmann, so i can see you responded.

The LG 27GP850 and 32GP850 were much more expensive when they started a few months back. Simply because they're better than the M27Q or M32Q. They support wider color gamuts, and have faster response times. They're slightly better in most things. These LG monitors have been heavily discounted recently, so they make excellent deals.

Here are 2 very detailed video reviews of the two:

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

@Stahlmann
If you wouldn't mind another question or two.
Is there any particular reason not to go for Ultra wide or is straight 16:9 better for that price point? (Checking Curry's it looks like the next UW jumps up to £650, as they curved the IPS panel).
Do you know a good location to learn about the technology use by HWU e..g Overdrive.

28 minutes ago, FistOFun said:

@Stahlmann
If you wouldn't mind another question or two.
Is there any particular reason not to go for Ultra wide or is straight 16:9 better for that price point? (Checking Curry's it looks like the next UW jumps up to £650, as they curved the IPS panel).
Do you know a good location to learn about the technology use by HWU e..g Overdrive.

Ultrawides are significantly more expensive when you don't want to compromise in other areas. If you want one that performs similar to the other ones i mentioned the LG 34GN850-B is a good choice, but it sits around double the price. There are ultrawide choices around 350 but they are significantly slower budget VA options.