43" 4K Monitor Recommendations!

RML Futuristics

REQUIREMENT

Hi all, so let me get you up to speed with where I am at. I am a professional video editor and graphic designer, in general I freelance, but at the moment I am coming to the end of a multi-year contract with a company. Primarily I do colour correction and animation for them, but I also do a fair amount of photoshop editing too. My previous set up consisted of two Dell 32" Ultrafines, however one of the panels backlights gave up, and the other isnt looking like its long for this world either. As such I am in the market for something new. 

I find myself using one screen as my primary and a second screen which is just a place for me to store my editing resources, so two 4K screens seems wasteful, so i have decided to try something new and go for a single large format display (43") and then a smaller 27" side screen (portrait). The side screen is no issue, i have a long list of options there, my problem is the main 43" screen. So I am coming to you for help. 

SITUATION/RESEARCH

I have done a bit of research myself and was able to pick up a Gigabyte AORUS FV43U for a good price, however it arrived with some dead pixels so has been RMA'ed. I have also had issues with the fonts on it. When viewed from anything less than dead on, the font looked AWFUL. I have googled everything I could think of, tried windows clear type, as well as the better cleartype tool from Github. Some of which helped, but none of which solved my issue entirely. I know increasing the scaling to 125% would potentially solve the issue, but I lose so much screen real estate, the trade off, doesn't seem worth it. I know this is caused in part by the VA panel and the fact it is using a BGR sub-pixel layout. I am aware I can rotate the screen 180, to help, but i can not express how ridiculous that will look when i have clients sit with me to review their content. 

I have been looking at both the LG 43UN700 and the Dell offering, that are both IPS, but to my knowledge, they both have the exact same issue as being a BGR sub-pixel and the weird shadow fringing near the edge of the display (when viewed from off centre), so I am reluctant to get either of those. 

This leads me on to a quandary, what should I do, should I look at instead getting a quantum dot TV with 60/120hz refresh rate, or am I going to have the same issue. Please welcome any help you can provide. 

TL:DR - > A 43"(or bigger) 4K, colour accurate monitor, that doesn't break the bank, and doesn't have font issues when viewed from anything other than dead on. Tried the FV43U and hated it, should I just get a TV at this point?

Freelancing Since 2012

For your use case the LG C2 42" would probably be the best choice. You can hardware calibrate it for reference-level SDR color accuracity, which is why it's a popular choice for SDR grading even in the film industry. Plus it'll also allow you to get into HDR grading and color correction. Viewing angles are also better than any IPS or VA monitor you'll find, so your clients can sit next to you and have the same picture quality.

One problem is that the out of the box color accuracity isn't the best. But if you do have the tools to calibrate it, it'll be better than any other ICC-dependant monitor.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.