First 3D Printer

RONOTHAN##

Which printer would make the most sense for the price?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which printer would make the most sense for the price?

• Ender 3 Pro ($200)
    • Ender 3 v2 ($260)
    • Other

So I've been thinking about getting a 3D printer for a while now, and I had something break earlier that would be be super easy to 3D print a replacement piece to fix (not the first time either). I'm gonna be at Micro Center tomorrow anyway, so I figured I might as well bite the bullet and just get one. 

I've been doing a bit of research on what to would be a good, first 3D printer that won't break the bank. For what I'm doing, FDM printers seem like the way to go since I don't care that much about fine detail (stuff just needs to pass the 5 foot rule) and odds are at least something I print will be somewhat structural. From what I've gathered so far, it does seem like the Ender 3 series of printers would work great for me (easy to use, easy to upgrade, a bit difficult to assemble but I like the challenge). 

Looking at some of the prices, I've seen the Ender 3 Pro at $200 and the Ender 3 v2 at $260. I know the v2 is better, but is it really that much better? I'm fine with spending money, so if it is a lot better or will save me a ton of headache early on I'm fine with spending the extra $60 on it, but at the same time I'd rather have that $60 to put towards more filament for the inevitable failed first few prints. Also, are there other printers that out out there that are much better (much bigger build volume, easier to use, etc.) around my price range (preferably under $300-400) that I should be looking at instead. I don't need it tomorrow by any means, it's just that I'll be at Micro Center anyway, their prices on stuff seem pretty good, so why not get it tomorrow while I'm there if it's in stock?

If there's anything I'm saying that's completely off base, let me know, this is my first 3D printer and I know I've got a ton to learn about it. I've seen some stuff by the likes of Major Hardware and a couple other places, but it's never been a major focus and just wanna make sure I'm starting in the right place. 

On 6/2/2022 at 4:18 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

So I've been thinking about getting a 3D printer for a while now, and I had something break earlier that would be be super easy to 3D print a replacement piece to fix (not the first time either). I'm gonna be at Micro Center tomorrow anyway, so I figured I might as well bite the bullet and just get one. 

I've been doing a bit of research on what to would be a good, first 3D printer that won't break the bank. For what I'm doing, FDM printers seem like the way to go since I don't care that much about fine detail (stuff just needs to pass the 5 foot rule) and odds are at least something I print will be somewhat structural. From what I've gathered so far, it does seem like the Ender 3 series of printers would work great for me (easy to use, easy to upgrade, a bit difficult to assemble but I like the challenge). 

Looking at some of the prices, I've seen the Ender 3 Pro at $200 and the Ender 3 v2 at $260. I know the v2 is better, but is it really that much better? I'm fine with spending money, so if it is a lot better or will save me a ton of headache early on I'm fine with spending the extra $60 on it, but at the same time I'd rather have that $60 to put towards more filament for the inevitable failed first few prints. Also, are there other printers that out out there that are much better (much bigger build volume, easier to use, etc.) around my price range (preferably under $300-400) that I should be looking at instead. I don't need it tomorrow by any means, it's just that I'll be at Micro Center anyway, their prices on stuff seem pretty good, so why not get it tomorrow while I'm there if it's in stock?

If there's anything I'm saying that's completely off base, let me know, this is my first 3D printer and I know I've got a ton to learn about it. I've seen some stuff by the likes of Major Hardware and a couple other places, but it's never been a major focus and just wanna make sure I'm starting in the right place. 

What material is the nozzle made from? If you’re wanting anything sturdy (especially for outdoors) you’ll be wanting to use PETG which is fairly abrasive.