Advice Needed

Dartix

I'm thinking of upgrading to the new 6950 XT. I'm looking at an MSI Gaming Trio one for around £1,100.

I currently own a 3070. I'm wondering whether it's even worth upgrading? I use an Odyssey Neo G9 and I'm playing mainly eSports titles like Call of Duty and some story games like Red Dead.

I do not use Ray Tracing.

I'd like to know whether I should upgrade and if it will be worth it or if I should keep my 3070 and wait till NVIDIA 4000 Series.

And if I would see a noticeable performance advantage to using a 6950 XT over the 3070.

Thanks.

I'd also like to add I would only spend a max of £1,200 on a GPU so is it worth getting the 6950 XT or waiting to see if 4000 Series have a more powerful GPU for under £1,200.

In your case definitely worth waiting, because it are the highend GPUs where most performance uplift is made next gen. So just be ready on launch day, refresh stores constantly and you should be able to pick up a next gen gpu.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

12 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

In your case definitely worth waiting, because it are the highend GPUs where most performance uplift is made next gen. So just be ready on launch day, refresh stores constantly and you should be able to pick up a next gen gpu.

Would it not be smarter to wait until the 4000 Series GPUs are out for 6-12 months and they are down to a better price?

I can find GPUs in stock from sites like Scan, CCL and Rons.

I just don't want to pay more than £1,200 for a GPU and if I wait for the 4000 Series I would want the GPU that is around the £1.2k mark to be a fair bit more powerful than the 3090Ti, I don't know if I'm overestimating the performance that the Next Gen may have or not?

I just want to make sure I get the best Price for Performace GPU that will last, as the 6950 XT for £1.1k is a great price but do u think the 4000 Series will be more powerful for the same price?

2 minutes ago, Rosiak said:

Would it not be smarter to wait until the 4000 Series GPUs are out for 6-12 months and they are down to a better price?

I can find GPUs in stock from sites like Scan, CCL and Rons.

I just don't want to pay more than £1,200 for a GPU and if I wait for the 4000 Series I would want the GPU that is around the £1.2k mark to be a fair bit more powerful than the 3090Ti, I don't know if I'm overestimating the performance that the Next Gen may have or not?

I just want to make sure I get the best Price for Performace GPU that will last, as the 6950 XT for £1.1k is a great price but do u think the 4000 Series will be more powerful for the same price?

Yeah, like the RTX 2000, RTX 3000 series were "down to a better price"??

No. You can either get a GPU at launch for MSRP, for example from Nvidia UK site, or you wait 3 years until they fall back down to msrp. I would definitely try at least getting a GPU on launch, and if that fails you can pray that you can get a gpu for anything near MSRP.

Yes, that is how GPU generations work. The 3080 was 80% more powerful than a 2080, the 1070 was as fast as 980ti and so forth. So for same money you should get a GPU that is at least 40% faster.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yeah, like the RTX 2000, RTX 3000 series were "down to a better price"??

No. You can either get a GPU at launch for MSRP, for example from Nvidia UK site, or you wait 3 years until they fall back down to msrp. I would definitely try at least getting a GPU on launch, and if that fails you can pray that you can get a gpu for anything near MSRP.

Yes, that is how GPU generations work. The 3080 was 80% more powerful than a 2080, the 1070 was as fast as 980ti and so forth. So for same money you should get a GPU that is at least 40% faster.

Yeah that makes sense.

The prices for NVIDIA in the UK are mad high though and pretty close to what the retailers like Scan and Ron's so I think I'll just wait and see what the prices are for 40 Series 

2 minutes ago, Rosiak said:

Yeah that makes sense.

The prices for NVIDIA in the UK are mad high though and pretty close to what the retailers like Scan and Ron's so I think I'll just wait and see what the prices are for 40 Series 

I could also get a 6950 XT now and just sell it once the 40 Series comes down in price a bit.

3080 Ti is just under £1.1k from NVIDIA directly 

... and the 3080 Ti is also under £1.1k in stock from retailers like Rons

1 minute ago, Rosiak said:

I could also get a 6950 XT now and just sell it once the 40 Series comes down in price a bit.

3080 Ti is just under £1.1k from NVIDIA directly 

... and the 3080 Ti is also under £1.1k in stock from retailers like Rons

Yeah, but if for example the new 7700XT is indeed as fast as the 6950x, your GPU would lose a lot of resell value.

Also don't look at nvidia meme edition GPUs, the 3080, which is only 10% slower than the TI, is only 649£. So when buying a new gpu also look at price per framerate.

But if you want, you can buy the 6950XT now, skip next gen, and buy the gen after that for an upgrade, the 6950XT is already a really fast card, and it is faster than 3090ti at 1080p and 1440p.

Yesh honestly ill probably get the 6950 XT then and I'll wait until the prices for 7000 or 40 Series go down a bit.

I use 1440p so that's good I will beat out the 3090 Ti.

I'll probably end up upgrading in 2023, then sell the 6950 XT when I upgrade, as so long as I would get around £500-£700 for the 6950 XT in 2023 then I'd be able to get a Next Gen GPU in 2023.