Diy cnc

Meta358

Im looking at building a cnc router/laster. Looking online all i can really find are build guides to build what someone else made, or guides on the software. Is there any places that i can find alot of good info l on building one that not some random guys 1hr building guide on YouTube.

Dont really have one in mind, kinda hoping not to go over 1000 i guess. At the moment im more looking for a place to find out why id want this motor over that one and such

6 hours ago, James Evens said:

With CNC mills the budget dictates what you can get.

How big it should be and what material.

For example my 20x20x10cm is roughly $1000 and has no problem with aluminium or steel (e.g. 8.8 bolts) but with the same budget you could build like 100x500x15cm if is for MDF or wood.

Also the accessories drastically change: with metal you want at least a fog buster/lubrication system, slow spindle with high torque. With a wood CNC you can't use this but instead want a dust collector and high rpm spindle not needing the high torque at low RPM. With composites like carbon fibre or FR4/fibreglass the requirements change again. Here would be dust collection crucial to ensure a safe workplace. For stone? flood cooling and dust collection combined with a high power spindle.

Btw. How much money can you spend on a ongoing basis for consumable's? The number depends but $1-2 per machine hour would be a rough number if you use value optimized milling bits in aluminium. With carbon steel the cost goes up as tools get more expensive while the lifetime decreases. With wood it would be cheaper.

Well this would be a cnc for wood and would hook up to my current dust collector (1.5h). I plan on using one of my wood routers as the spindle. Ive found kits with all the mototrs and break out boards needed online however idk if they are good motors or will be under powered. Was hoping to have its cutting bed be like 4ft x4t (1.3m x1.3m in metric i think)