2 users 1 pc. Sort of...

Hello. I need help planning upgrade to my pc. Currently I have 2 PC's:

My wife have I5 7400 with 16G of random assortment DDR4 and R9 380 4G.
I have I5 2400 with 16G of DDR3 and GTX 1060 6G.

Problem is that I actually have to play via Steam link on my laptop, because we live in a tiny apartment where there are no room for 2 desks. So that got me thinking if I could possibly try and pack both of ours setups into 1 PC. My friend gonna hook me up with I5 10400, and I could upgrade the RAM and PSU. So, I've got some ideas about how to achieve this goal, but I have some potentioal problems in mind that I hope could be rectified here.

I see these 3 ways to try and do what I want:

1. Something like remote desktop, where there'll be 2 users on 1 OS. But as far as I know, consumer Windows 10 don't allow this and workarounds are janky at best.
  2. Setting up the VM and passing through the 1060 into it. Google search gives mixed results, mostly indicating that you can't pass a GPU in Windows 10 version of Hyper-V, but I might miss something.
  3. Setting up the VM and splitting the 1060. This will most probably work fine, but I guess it'll result in me not being able to use full power of my GPU, mainly its RAM. Like using 1060 3G.

So, that's what I have in mind. What do you guys think? Is it even worth the hassle? Maybe a small build tucked into somewhere would work much better?

You can have Proxmox run a VM a Windows VM with a assigned GPU and number of USB ports assigned.

3 minutes ago, Dedylllka_GROM said:

Setting up the VM and passing through the 1060 into it. Google search gives mixed results, mostly indicating that you can't pass a GPU in Windows 10 version of Hyper-V, but I might miss something.

Passthrough works fine on pre RTX cards nowadays.

3 minutes ago, Dedylllka_GROM said:

Setting up the VM and splitting the 1060. This will most probably work fine, but I guess it'll result in me not being able to use full power of my GPU, mainly its RAM. Like using 1060 3G.

Not only that, if one of the clients are using all of the GPUs processing power, other client will be laggy and totally unusable.

It is not terribly hard to set up but price may not be right and at that point you might as well get two decently powerful laptops.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Thanks for the reply!

Haven't thought about proxmox, but could give it a try.👍

Also, could you please link a Hyper-V GPU passthrough tutorial for windows 10? Or atleast some confirmation. I can't seem to find one, only for windows server.

18 minutes ago, Dedylllka_GROM said:

Thanks for the reply!

Haven't thought about proxmox, but could give it a try.👍

Also, could you please link a Hyper-V GPU passthrough tutorial for windows 10? Or atleast some confirmation. I can't seem to find one, only for windows server.

https://github.com/jamesstringerparsec/Easy-GPU-PV

True GPU passthrough doesn't work on Hyper V, though GPU sharing works perfectly, and it can dedicate 100% of the GPU resources to the VM (though there is a bit of overhead so you will lose performance compared to native rendering). 

I see. That might just be it. Or Proxmox. Thanks for the help!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 8:50 AM, Dedylllka_GROM said:

Something like remote desktop, where there'll be 2 users on 1 OS. But as far as I know, consumer Windows 10 don't allow this and workarounds are janky at best.

This mode is called multiseat and it don't need a remote desktop. Linustechtips.com has made many YouTube videos on this topic. The multiseat mode in Windows is implemented through third party software (Virtualization-based setup via TCP/IP protocol), open source or with proprietary license. Instead Linux support multiseat mode natively.