I NEED SOME HELP!!!!!

an uncle that works with a very old machine requested me to help him  upgrade his pc, but the problem its that he wants to put  8 of ram on his oc but the things its a foxconn that works on DDR2!

im trying to find anything but the closest thing its the ram for servers and i tolded him to maybe change the motherboard but he says its very crucial for him to keep it owrking as it is his only machine for al the solidworks and differnet old software

That's quite slim information there.....

What does "" Put 8 of ram on his oc "" mean?

If it's an OEM like HP, DELL, GATEWAY, then he will have no oc. (oc = overclock) 

The selections for dram frequency would be in the bios. If not available, then yes; he needs a platform upgrade. 

All of his work and software has a very high likely chance to work on modern hardware.

The best thing to do, clone his drive and make a copy. Use the copy in a modern build and see if it posts up and runs (maybe in your pc to help out?)

that is all.....

8 minutes ago, g1psy_d4ng3r said:

an uncle that works with a very old machine requested me to help him  upgrade his pc, but the problem its that he wants to put  8 of ram on his oc but the things its a foxconn that works on DDR2!

im trying to find anything but the closest thing its the ram for servers and i tolded him to maybe change the motherboard but he says its very crucial for him to keep it owrking as it is his only machine for al the solidworks and differnet old software

you don't need the exact same ram module for things to work, it's better if you want to overclock them that they are all the same but if it's only for more memory you can mix and match.
So if it's DDR2 you can find some really cheap one on ebay. But still if your issue is that you cannot determine the model of the ram, just share a picture of it here and maybe someone will be able to tell you what it is

Board Foxconn G31 +procesador Intel Core2 Duo + Ram 4 Gb (2x 2 gb)

its the motherboard,apparently he bought it pre build on a sale of a company..

11 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

That's quite slim information there.....

What does "" Put 8 of ram on his oc "" mean?

If it's an OEM like HP, DELL, GATEWAY, then he will have no oc. (oc = overclock) 

The selections for dram frequency would be in the bios. If not available, then yes; he needs a platform upgrade. 

All of his work and software has a very high likely chance to work on modern hardware.

The best thing to do, clone his drive and make a copy. Use the copy in a modern build and see if it posts up and runs (maybe in your pc to help out?)

that is all.....

i tried to do that but hes relentless as he says that he doesnt want to change a lot of stuff

1 minute ago, g1psy_d4ng3r said:

i tried to do that but hes relentless as he says that he doesnt want to change a lot of stuff

What's he going to do when he drops in a ram stick and it doesn't post up? 

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

probably pc

Anyway, the G31 only supports up to 4GB so it's maxed out already. As far as I can remember only high end 775 mobos supported 8GB at the time, and that's no high end mobo.

Didn't need 8gb back then for anything. it's ddr2. High end 775 boards aren't ddr2, they's ddr3.

And probably pc. makes sense to have 8gb on his pc than on his oc .... lol I dunno"?

9 minutes ago, Natsukashii said:

you don't need the exact same ram module for things to work, it's better if you want to overclock them that they are all the same but if it's only for more memory you can mix and match.
So if it's DDR2 you can find some really cheap one on ebay. But still if your issue is that you cannot determine the model of the ram, just share a picture of it here and maybe someone will be able to tell you what it is

my main problem its that i cant find a card with 4 of ram on a ddr2/intel platform

i already did the searching as if the one that is instlled its a  PC2-6400U 2 gigas 800 Mhz and apparently it supports DDR2 800/667/533 non-ECC, un-buffered

4 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

What's he going to do when he drops in a ram stick and it doesn't post up? 

thats the thing that pc has run without even being cleaned for as long as i remember,i clenaed it and the temps drop more than what i thought by just cleaning all the fuzz that it got accumulated over the years

4 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Didn't need 8gb back then for anything. it's ddr2. High end 775 boards aren't ddr2, they's ddr3.

And probably pc. makes sense to have 8gb on his pc than on his oc .... lol I dunno"?

from what i searched on the manuals and some old info it says that you can upgrade it max to 8gb of ram

Just now, g1psy_d4ng3r said:

from what i searched on the manuals and some old info it says that you can upgrade it max to 8gb of ram

It's not going to make the PC faster.....

Does windows give warning low memory or something?

5 minutes ago, g1psy_d4ng3r said:

my main problem its that i cant find a card with 4 of ram on a ddr2/intel platform

i already did the searching as if the one that is instlled its a  PC2-6400U 2 gigas 800 Mhz and apparently it supports DDR2 800/667/533 non-ECC, un-buffered

I found this ebay listing, they say it is compatible with intel?
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/394035863619?hash=item5bbe5e2043:g:PiYAAOSwX3NiXQ7r&var=662578755126

1 minute ago, Guest 5150 said:

It's not going to make the PC faster.....

Does windows give warning low memory or something?

its on windows 7 and as far as ive seen and tested, the pc denst seem to sent any notif about low memory

its on windows 7 and as far as ive seen and tested, the pc denst seem to sent any notif about low memory

OK, then it doesn't need more memory. Cause it won't make it faster. W7 will pop a warning when system memory is low and it'll get sluggish from using page file.

What I would do, my opinion here.....

I would clone the drive he has now. Put that copy on a nice solid state hard drive. It'll be a night and day difference.

Just now, Guest 5150 said:

OK, then it doesn't need more memory. Cause it won't make it faster. W7 will pop a warning when system memory is low and it'll get sluggish from using page file.

What I would do, my opinion here.....

I would clone the drive he has now. Put that copy on a nice solid state hard drive. It'll be a night and day difference.

is there like a tool from where i could clone the drive? usually i have my stuff on the cloud and some already to go on a small ssd so i sually dont have a loot of tools or software for cloning drives

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

P45 was a thing for the C2X chips but it was hilariously expensive and DDR3 was simply cheaper and better. But it did support 8GB+ of DDR2.

Speed and size are two different things.

The actual manual that came with the computer or some random .pdf file on the internet? if the first then you'll be able to upgrade, otherwise I wouldn't gamble.

I know the 4GB modules you must be eyeing, they won't work on the G31 chipset, it can't address more than 2GB per channel.

the actual manual, my uncle even kept the box that came with the pc,screen and the rest of things

4 minutes ago, Caroline said:

P45 was a thing for the C2X chips but it was hilariously expensive and DDR3 was simply cheaper and better. But it did support 8GB+ of DDR2.

Speed and size are two different things.

The actual manual that came with the computer or some random .pdf file on the internet? if the first then you'll be able to upgrade, otherwise I wouldn't gamble.

I know the 4GB modules you must be eyeing, they won't work on the G31 chipset, it can't address more than 2GB per channel.

so you think that this (https://www.ebay.fr/itm/394035863619?hash=item5bbe5e2043:g:PiYAAOSwX3NiXQ7r&var=662578755126)

might not work for how the channel cant address  more than 2gb? 

is there like a tool from where i could clone the drive? usually i have my stuff on the cloud and some already to go on a small ssd so i sually dont have a loot of tools or software for cloning drives

There's 2 ways to do it. 

Through W7. You make a back up to your old C: drive onto the external drive.

Install W7 fresh on the new ssd, old drive unplugged now. then proceed to run the backup on the new drive through W7 backup. 

It'll be an exact copy without 3rd party software. This is how I take down hardware Raid 0 installations for a single disk.

3rd party software, there's tons of them. So you can check from this list which one appeals to you. Everyone has a different preference. 

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-disk-cloning-software