Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Couple Questions

drdrewnatic

Looking at geting a PA 120 SE and can't see any info on Thermalright's website about RAM clearence. I currently have a G.Skill Trident Z RGB kit. Is it possible to attatch the fan on the otherside of the heatsink closer to the rear I/O? I would ideally like to still have my RAM visible.

I've also heard some people complain about noise? Is this an issue?

Thank you.

Due to my inability to think before I type, I frequently edit my posts. Please refresh before responding!

Tag me @drdrewnatic or quote me so I can see your response.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CPU: INTEL CORE I5-12600K GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2070 OC MB: GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 RAM: 2X8GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB 3200 CL16 BOOT: CRUCIAL P5 PLUS 1TB SSD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500GB HDD: SEAGATE 2TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA G3 650W COOLER: THERMALRIGHT PEERLESS ASSASSIN 120 SE ARGO

01101100 01110100 01110100 01110011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01100101 00101110 01100011 01101111 01101101

5 hours ago, drdrewnatic said:

Is it possible to attatch the fan on the otherside of the heatsink closer to the rear I/O?

Can’t say for sure, but I don’t see why not. But wouldn’t that hinder performance & risk not give you a significant improvement over your current cooler? Also, it may be so close to your rear fan which may also impede things.

You could always lift the fan up to give you that RAM clearance, but it’ll still block the RAM, visibly, & then may make it too tall for your case.

Moving the fan to the back may reduce performance down to where the newly released Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE may be the better option? 

https://youtu.be/2-Yp5F0HsAs

9 hours ago, Ralfi said:

But wouldn’t that hinder performance & risk not give you a significant improvement over your current cooler? Also, it may be so close to your rear fan which may also impede things.

It would work fine, just with the rear fan on the case removed. The moved fan on the heatsink would do the same work, so it's redundant to have 2.

And in general the difference between 1 and 2 fans on a heatsink is 2-3c degrees tops. and a 3rd is even less for more noise.