Building my first PC (Aerospace Engineer)

Go to solution Solved by brob,

I'm not a fan of the case because of its acrylic window. But I understand the selection, there are not many options these days for cases with 5.25 external drive openings.

Consider going with an i7-12700F rather than the i7-12700K. The saving is substantial. The stock performance differential is small. About 6% for a Chromium compile, depending on cooling and power settings.

12th gen Intel CPU performance depends on cooler efficiency. I'd suggest something like the Dark Rock Pro 4. Interestingly, locked 12th gen have max power quite close to their unlocked counterpart.

I would chose a 550W modular PSU, despite the added cost.

Budget (including currency): $1000-1400

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: CAD, VB programming, Java Programming, Virtualization, playing Star Wars Battlefront II (2017)

Other details https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gkm74s

Hi all, I got some help with my build and this is what I have so far..

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gkm74s

In addition to what I already have, I was needing some info on what is a good budget CD-RW drive to get for my build, as well as a good CPU cooler, and some budget case fans. Any other suggestions on how to better my build would be appreciated. If you have any suggestions on the build itself, the main thing that I am wanting to keep is the processor. If there are better options, I am willing to change the other parts of the build.

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($376.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 670p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($89.69 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card  ($409.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($68.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1205.60

Thanks,

WeTuLo

I'm not a fan of the case because of its acrylic window. But I understand the selection, there are not many options these days for cases with 5.25 external drive openings.

Consider going with an i7-12700F rather than the i7-12700K. The saving is substantial. The stock performance differential is small. About 6% for a Chromium compile, depending on cooling and power settings.

12th gen Intel CPU performance depends on cooler efficiency. I'd suggest something like the Dark Rock Pro 4. Interestingly, locked 12th gen have max power quite close to their unlocked counterpart.

I would chose a 550W modular PSU, despite the added cost.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bwzjnt

Here is a (my opinion) better build for you. I would switch to the 12700 as that board does not support OC. Get a better SSD and switch to a more airflow focused case. I also added a better cpu cooler around the same exact price.

Hope this was helpful. Thanks!