HDD Behaving weirdly.

BoKiller

Hello,

I recently got a new GPU and updated windows. I don't know if those two changes have anything to do with my problem, but i started encountering intermittent drive errors and freezes. 

Examples:

1. When playing Elden RIng, the game starts stuttering and the music disappears. This is always followed by HDD usage shooting up to 100% and a stop-start noise (ill provide the audio later in the post) occurring. Also, i noticed that every time that this occurs, it is followed by an error appearing in the event viewer. Specifically the following error:

image.png.b7578e851e6f4eaf39566d18babc3706.png

2. When playing Horizon: Zero Dawn, the game freezes for about two seconds, and is followed by the noise, and 100% disk usage.

3. While scanning the drive for bad sectors, the noise occurs every 3 or so seconds (i will attach a recording of this), but is not followed by the error in event viewer.

4. Epic Games Launcher (installed on it for some reason) was flagged as corrupted, throwing an "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error.

5. Other files also seem to be corrupted, one unistaller is throwing a "unins000.dat is corrupted" error.

Notes:

• I have tried almost every possible combination of SATA and power cables. None have helped.
  • The errors started after updating windows and installing a new GPU.
  • The drive model is: SEAGATE ST1000DM003
  • Other drives in PC: NVME ssd (System), WDC HDD (Media)
  • Tried CHKDSK with only 3 stages. I will run the full scan overnight.

CRYSTAL DISK INFO:

CrystalDiskInfo_20220518023641.png.b4b5b32139bb42d05cbb04ea4e83cf8a.png

THE NOISE:

THE QUESTION:

Is the drive dead? Did windows update screw up some files? What are my options?

try updating bios and drivers first, and if that doesnt work then idk.

i dont think this next thing will work but its worth a shot.

windows does some power saving junk which can affect the drive. go to "services" and disable the "power" service, it controls most power saving features within windows (meaning you should have it off anyway) and it does some power down or throttling stuff for the hdd. Also its not vital for system function, at least for my system.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

18 minutes ago, BoKiller said:

THE NOISE:

THE QUESTION:

Is the drive dead? Did windows update screw up some files? What are my options?

Definitely sounds like the head retrying to read bad data to me.  Its unlikely anything you or Windows did caused this, unless you dropped the drive or knocked the PC quite hard while it was running.

I'd try Seatools to see if it says anything different as generic SMART tools do not know how specific manufacturers format their data so, might overlook some value that is relevant.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Definitely sounds like the head retrying to read bad data to me.

I'd try Seatools to see if it says anything different as generic SMART tools do not know how specific manufacturers format their data so might miss something.

I'll run every scan and get back to you with the results.