SLI Questions

yandaman

Going to build my first computer later this year when Haswell and Nvidia's 700 series comes out and I was just wondering some things about SLI. Firstly how many watts power supply am I going to need if its just two way SLI with a top end card? Secondly can you mix and match different GPU's? What I was planning to do was get a GTX 760 ti (if they go by the same naming conventions) this year, and then wait a year and get a Maxwell GPU and have the 760 run as a Physx card. Anyone know if that would be possible or can you not do SLI across different architectures?

750W will do; ensure you have the correct connectors for it. Preferably 80+ Gold certified if you can get it.

Not really; they have to be the same. For example, a 770 MSi will go fine with a 770 Gigabyte, but not a 760 MSi.

I should clarify; the two GPUs will not work in conjunction with each other (a 770 and 760Ti for example). You can certainly have two GPUs installed, for example on several monitors, but they can't work together.

Having a dedicated PhysX card isn't really worth it in my opinion. it's always best to get the single best card you can, and remember that you can always sell the old card if you want to get a new one. It;s just my 2 cents though

We can't predict the power draw of unreleased products.

As above, dedicated physx cards are for amd owners trying to use the hack.

There are a few requirements you need to meet to enable SLI. the cards need to be identical GPU cores, memory etc (so gtx670+gtx670)and all displays must be connected to the master GPU, unless you are spanning 3 displays with surround (in which case one must be connected to a port in the 2nd gpu that is use in the first gpu..)