Laptop memory

New to owning a laptop, and am looking to throw in another stick of 8 GB's so I can at least have a minimum of 16. How do I go about figuring out what I should buy specifically speed wise. When I buy my ram I always buy the same product, with this laptop, I have no idea what brand or whatever is in it. Any help would be amazing!

CYHqLo1.png

18 minutes ago, Beep or Boop said:

New to owning a laptop, and am looking to throw in another stick of 8 GB's so I can at least have a minimum of 16. How do I go about figuring out what I should buy specifically speed wise. When I buy my ram I always buy the same product, with this laptop, I have no idea what brand or whatever is in it. Any help would be amazing!

CYHqLo1.png

Looks like your laptop needs 2666 MT/s C19 RAM. The easiest thing you can do is to go to https://www.kingston.com/en/memory and enter the model number of your laptop and it will find your laptop and have the correct memory config listed with all the options for replacement/upgrading that your laptop supports

21 minutes ago, DreamCat04 said:

Looks like your laptop needs 2666 MT/s C19 RAM. The easiest thing you can do is to go to https://www.kingston.com/en/memory and enter the model number of your laptop and it will find your laptop and have the correct memory config listed with all the options for replacement/upgrading that your laptop supports

Thank you. Found my sheet and am looking at two similar sticks, what is the difference between these two? 1RX16 vs 1RX8?

Q56YVBB.png

17 minutes ago, Beep or Boop said:

Thank you. Found my sheet and am looking at two similar sticks, what is the difference between these two? 1RX16 vs 1RX8?

Q56YVBB.png

One of them is a 16GB stick the other a 8GB stick.

in your case grab a second 8GB stick.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

4 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

One of them is a 16GB stick the other a 8GB stick.

in your case grab a second 8GB stick.

Am I crazy in seeing that they both say 8GB in the title above them?

19 minutes ago, Beep or Boop said:

Am I crazy in seeing that they both say 8GB in the title above them?

Oh.. I hadn’t actually opened your screenshot just made the assumption based on your message. 

just googled it and it has to do that the x8 has four memory banks, whereas the x16 only has two.

link to article https://rog.asus.com/ch-en/articles/g-series-gaming-laptops/ram-chips-are-changing-2021-rog-laptops/

edit; so I would pick which ever you have now (however, not sure how to check that..) sorry!

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

14 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

edit; so I would pick which ever you have now (however, not sure how to check that..) sorry!

The SPD tab of CPU-Z should show the number of ranks, but I don't think it can show number of chips in that rank. Since both are single-rank, you might simply have to open up the notebook to check whether the existing RAM stick has 2 or 4 chips on it. You'll need to open it up to add the RAM in any case.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply