Samsungs fast charging

AntFrancis

Hi there I've recently bought a tablet from Samsung the S8 ultra. 

It didn't come with the charger  which I was kind of prepared for.

I have type C chargers including a laptop one. 

however no matter the wattage and the ampere of the charger it never goes into fast charging mode.

Does it have to be a proprietary Samsung charger ? And if so shouldn't the Apple-ish behaviour be known?

Unless they changed that for their phones, that shouldn't be the case. I have a laptop charger that I use on my phone on occasion and it allows my S21+ to do Super Fast Charging (not a Samsung charger). I realize the Wattage for tablets is probably different, but I would double check the settings on the tablet. I know at least my phone has a slider that allows me to turn fast charging and super fast charging on and off. Apart from that I'm not sure what to tell you.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 105W || NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler || MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard || CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) || SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4 || SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 || Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive || MSI RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 10G LHR || Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black ATX Flexible Dark Tinted Tempered Glass Window || Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular || Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit || Logitech - G502 Proteus Core Wireless Optical Mouse || Input Club K-Type w/ Ajazz Kiwi Switches

Some cables are not rated for higher wattage. Or the charger for the laptop doesn't follow the whatever standard 

From the old USB at 5V/0.5A  the different standards go to 5V/2A, 7V, 9V, or even 12V to increase power. But what voltage to use is communicated between the power supply and the device. It likely also measures cable resistance. The overall charging will happen at whatever of the 3 items has the lowest standard/quality. 

Unless you really need it, I would use normal charging speed since too high charging speed will wear out the battery due to heat etc. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

Only use official cables and wall warts or those from anker. It’s not a compatibility issue, just reliability of unknown brands.

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

On 5/9/2022 at 11:34 AM, AntFrancis said:

however no matter the wattage and the ampere of the charger it never goes into fast charging mode.

As @Lurkingpointed out it's not amperage in this case. Many modern Samsung devices (including the one I'm using to post this) come with a fast charger that outputs 5V and 9V @ 2 amps IIRC (I don't use it). They are increasing voltage, not current to fast charge. Since I doubt any of your chargers are outputting 9V at times like the OEM the phone knows it's not OEM, and not "fast" charging.

AS already mentioned once here, I'm also of the opinion that slow charging is better for battery life. Both lifespan, and screen time in my tests. In fact the slower the better, most of my devices are fine charging as slow as 0.5 amp, and rarely ever am I in a situation that need them to charge faster. My phone generally lasts a couple days anyways.