Question about good low profile stand-alone keyboards

Seabottom

I have a Logitech G512 which took me a long time to get used to because of the noise but also the tall keycaps. Now after 2 or 3 years, the Lights are fading one by one and there's a significant amount of chatter, probably from dirt getting into the caps and switches. I hate it basically.

So I went to a Hardware store and they had lots of stuff on display, but only 2 gaming keyboards and lots of low profile keyboards which wasn't available for purchase individually. So I resorted to eBay. This keyboard was the nicest of the ones on display, feels mushy, sure, but it's quiet, low-profile and super fast to type on.

My question is, I have seen so many laptop reviews over the years where the keyboard is praised to sky and yet, all you can buy individually is a tall keycap keyboard. I mean is it still the 1970's? They get in the way and I can't type very efficiently. Is this just me? Surely, there must be a massive market for laptop style keyboards that is still unexplored. I can't believe I have to resort to membrane, but I just can't deal with it all anymore.

8540cad4f8.jpg

The perfect keyboard for everyone doesn't exist: everyone has different preferences, typing styles, sizes, etc...

I personally find the feel of a mechanical keyboard more important than the typing experience in terms of efficiency.

For you personal case, you might enjoy the Logitech G915. It's pricey and I've never tried it myself (wanted to buy one when my graphics card died, so.... yeah, priorities) but it may possibly be the best low-profile mechanical keyboard out there.

20 hours ago, pauloforte said:

The perfect keyboard for everyone doesn't exist: everyone has different preferences, typing styles, sizes, etc...

I personally find the feel of a mechanical keyboard more important than the typing experience in terms of efficiency.

For you personal case, you might enjoy the Logitech G915. It's pricey and I've never tried it myself (wanted to buy one when my graphics card died, so.... yeah, priorities) but it may possibly be the best low-profile mechanical keyboard out there.

Of course everyone has different preferences, but the amount of of laptops out there makes it hard for those people to adapt to a different keycap style board. I'm just saying that it's impossible to find an equivalent Dell XPS 13 rgb keyboard as standalone for instance. Something really flat and nice to type on.

The G915 is no better than the competition; it's still got tall caps albeit a bit shorter but nothing like a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard either.

Maybe I'm just talking to the wrong crowd? Enthusiasts want mechanical keyboards with clicky - that is available in laptops already, I don't see why it's never been done for real though.

On 5/4/2022 at 4:38 AM, Seabottom said:

(...) only 2 gaming keyboards and lots of low profile keyboards which wasn't available for purchase individually. (...) feels mushy, sure, but it's quiet, low-profile and super fast to type on.

My question is, I have seen so many laptop reviews over the years where the keyboard is praised to sky and yet, all you can buy individually is a tall keycap keyboard.(...) laptop style keyboards (...) I can't believe I have to resort to membrane (...).

1 hour ago, Seabottom said:

(...) hard for those people to adapt to a different keycap style board. (...) impossible to find an equivalent Dell XPS 13 rgb keyboard (...) Something really flat and nice to type on.

(...) like a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard either.

So if I understand correctly, you want a laptop-style GAMING keyboard which is not membrane and types as well as a DELL XPS 13 keyboard.

If I google that for you, I get quite some lists, but the question is, what makes a laptop-keyboard "gaming" in your opinion? Considering none of the gaming laptops have specific "gaming" keyboards, I'd suspect you'd do well with the recommended ones from the list below.

https://fixthephoto.com/best-slim-keyboard.html

If there are any specific things you're looking for that you haven't mentioned before, go ahead.

Cheers

1 hour ago, pauloforte said:

So if I understand correctly, you want a laptop-style GAMING keyboard which is not membrane and types as well as a DELL XPS 13 keyboard.

If I google that for you, I get quite some lists, but the question is, what makes a laptop-keyboard "gaming" in your opinion? Considering none of the gaming laptops have specific "gaming" keyboards, I'd suspect you'd do well with the recommended ones from the list below.

https://fixthephoto.com/best-slim-keyboard.html

I'm not looking for gaming keyboards, that's just dumb branding. I just want either backlit or per key backlit keyboard which feels better than a standard membrane. Doesn't necessarily have to be mechanical. Those 8 keyboards you listed face a similar flaw which is that width-wise they're all squeezed to minimize desk uptake. Which is retarded, the only one that's slightly useful (albeit way better than what I got) is the number 8 DoHonest but still.... They're all missing modern features, and everything is just crammed sideways. Plus they're all wireless so... F*ck having to change batteries all the time.

I'm not looking for suggestions really 'cause I know it's a lost cause, but multiple WAN shows have talked about making other custom products, and I'm just saying there's an untapped market here.

42 minutes ago, Seabottom said:

I'm just saying there's an untapped market here.

Can't argue with you there... Though I doubt LMG will get into such a niche market with so many competitors.

Not all of those were wireless. You can use them wired as well, at least some of them.

There is no RGB lighting to speak of but wouldn't you be well off with a normal back-lit productivity keyboard?

The Perixx PERIBOARD-311PLUS sounds like a good one (https://wiproo.com/best-flat-keyboards/)

I know it's not laptop-thin but have you seen the G915 reviews and the LTT video? Linus seems to like it a lot and uses it as a daily driver, I've heard.

Also not laptop-thin but the Meetion MK80? (https://www.thumbculture.co.uk/meetion-mk80-ultrathin-mechanical-keyboard-review)

Good luck with your search. Let us know if you found anything.

17 minutes ago, pauloforte said:

There is no RGB lighting to speak of but wouldn't you be well off with a normal back-lit productivity keyboard?

The Perixx PERIBOARD-311PLUS sounds like a good one (https://wiproo.com/best-flat-keyboards/)

Oh yeah that looks nice, the video I found shows that it is actually silent as promised, and backlit, so more visible in the dark than normal...

I know it's not laptop-thin but have you seen the G915 reviews and the LTT video? Linus seems to like it a lot and uses it as a daily driver, I've heard.

Also not laptop-thin but the Meetion MK80? (https://www.thumbculture.co.uk/meetion-mk80-ultrathin-mechanical-keyboard-review)

...whereas this one is really loud as per standard mechanical. I have to say though, It is a sick as keyboard, if only it came with other switches.

So I guess there is a little variety out there, but still extremely small compared to standard keyboards. I suspect this is mainly because no one has ever heard of these obscure brands before and just stick to Corsair or Logitech with all the existing market shares.

I'll actually see if I can get the first one you linked to, the Perixx,  I mean it can only be better than membrane and the travel on both that and the MK80 is about the same, though still more than a laptop variant.

Cheers!