Kraken X63 RGB Inside the NZXT H510 - CPU Temps Spike to 100

semaj81

So I am very new to water cooling and wanted to dump my air cooler since it's aging and even cleaned wasn't doing a good job of cooling much anymore. So I picked up an NZXT X63 RGB thinking it would be a walk in the park. Was I wrong... Being new I don't know if I have it installed properly to be honest. I followed the instructions which frankly, were horrible. But I have it seated on the CPU, new thermal paste, and is snug for sure. My issue is I will run a stress test using IntelBurnTest v2.54 and watching HW Monitor my temps jump from  around 35c-60c depending on what I'm doing or normal load (YouTube, Chrome, etc.) almost instantly to 100c but not all cores show that... I've attached some images of my setup and temps ... if I'm missing any info please let me know and I will get whatever info you need. I don't know if I have things oriented properly or what but to me, jumping to 100c like that doesn't sound right.

PXL_20220427_023711591.jpg

PXL_20220427_023746817.jpg

PXL_20220427_023749371.jpg

temps.png

Temps jumping massively under torture tests is normal, my CPU sits in the 30s-40s under most load, hops to the 80s easily under Prime95 (similar burn/torture test). What isn't normal is an 8600K hitting that high, I had an OCed one on an NH-D15S and it never got near those temps (D15S performs similarly to 280mm AIOs like yours). 

Are you running a manual OC? If not, what motherboard do you have? ASUS and I believe some others like to enable MCE (Multi-Core Enhancement, some OEMs name it differently) by default, which attempts to clock all cores at the single core boost, usually using far more voltage than the CPU needs. That'd result in such high temps. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

12 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Temps jumping massively under torture tests is normal, my CPU sits in the 30s-40s under most load, hops to the 80s easily under Prime95 (similar burn/torture test). What isn't normal is an 8600K hitting that high, I had an OCed one on an NH-D15S and it never got near those temps (D15S performs similarly to 280mm AIOs like yours). 

Are you running a manual OC? If not, what motherboard do you have? ASUS and I believe some others like to enable MCE (Multi-Core Enhancement, some OEMs name it differently) by default, which attempts to clock all cores at the single core boost, usually using far more voltage than the CPU needs. That'd result in such high temps. 

Currently I'm using an ASRock Z370 Extreme4. I am using the built-in OC profiles and can show you exactly what's what in the BIOS here in a minute.

19 minutes ago, semaj81 said:

almost instantly to 100c but not all cores show that...

It might not be secure lol. try taking the CPU cooler off and looking at the thermal paste spread, that will tell you if the issue of the uneven heating was caused by incorrect mounting of the AIO.

Flip the rad fans so that they're intake as opposed to exhaust.

There's a big difference in temps between the cores which indicates that the cooling block might not be evenly mounted and not making full contact.

Trying reseating the cooling block and making sure that it's tightened gradually and evenly in an X-pattern.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'll reseat the block here in a bit. I should have went for the non-RGB since the front of my case isn't mesh/glass but eventually I'll get something from NZXT that will show it off. So I will fix the fans, check the cooling block... and attached are my BIOS settings that @Zando_ asked about...

PXL_20220427_233502132.jpg

PXL_20220427_233421400.jpg

PXL_20220427_233410954.jpg

PXL_20220427_233347237.jpg

1 hour ago, semaj81 said:

I'll reseat the block here in a bit. I should have went for the non-RGB since the front of my case isn't mesh/glass but eventually I'll get something from NZXT that will show it off. So I will fix the fans, check the cooling block... and attached are my BIOS settings that @Zando_ asked about...

The core voltage seems fairly high. 1.41v isn't easy to cool. Is this the preset from the motherboard?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

The core voltage seems fairly high. 1.41v isn't easy to cool. Is this the preset from the motherboard?

^^^ These chips can take up to 1.42v if memory serves, but that gets s p i c y hot. IIRC I needed 1.36v or 1.38v for 5GHz and I had a pretty meh chip, yours shouldn't need near 1.4v for 4.8. The built in OC profiles are usually far too liberal with voltages, I'd leave it on stock settings or manually OC if you need more speed, a crisp 5.0 allcore shouldn't be hard to dial in.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Zando_ said:

^^^ These chips can take up to 1.42v if memory serves, but that gets s p i c y hot. IIRC I needed 1.36v or 1.38v for 5GHz and I had a pretty meh chip, yours shouldn't need near 1.4v for 4.8. The built in OC profiles are usually far too liberal with voltages, I'd leave it on stock settings or manually OC if you need more speed, a crisp 5.0 allcore shouldn't be hard to dial in.

I actually did find a guide for my specific board and CPU to get me to 5GHz. Let me load those values and see what happens haha.. At this point I'm just frustrated and yes, I have been using the internal OC profiles. 

Ok so following a lot of what was said I think I'm finally seeing the benefits! I ran a couple stress tests after moving things around, checking thermal paste, etc. and during a stress test I only spiked to 100 degrees once on a single core. I may never get it to not do that which during a stress test is probably fine. Normal load I'm down to 20-30 degrees with spikes to 50-60 if I'm processing 4K video or gaming. So far so good! 

Thanks to this community!!!

50 minutes ago, semaj81 said:

Ok so following a lot of what was said I think I'm finally seeing the benefits! I ran a couple stress tests after moving things around, checking thermal paste, etc. and during a stress test I only spiked to 100 degrees once on a single core. I may never get it to not do that which during a stress test is probably fine. Normal load I'm down to 20-30 degrees with spikes to 50-60 if I'm processing 4K video or gaming. So far so good! 

Thanks to this community!!!

intake dude  intake air 

After looking at some other resources I think it's maybe best to swap the case entirely. The guts are still good for me and my needs so I was looking at this case specifically and saw a video of someone installing the same model cooler I have which again is the Kraken X63 so I think it will fit just fine. And will allow me to really get some proper intake going. $100 isn't bad, no?