NVME upkeep?

King_PIN
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
2 minutes ago, King_PIN said:

I have both my drives set to trim every day in the WD app.  I guess I will leave it as is.  TY! 

Not sure you need it, Windows should enable automatic TRIM where the drives will just periodically do it on their own.  I wonder if the WD app disables that in favour of doing it on a routine?  You'd think so if its an option there.

I'd imagine how often it needs doing would be based on how much data you are moving vs free storage space, as it will favour writing to least used cells anyway.

Is "trim" the only thing that can be done? 

I move hundereds of data a month to and from one of my WD SN850's.  

8 minutes ago, King_PIN said:

Is "trim" the only thing that can be done? 

I move hundereds of data a month to and from one of my WD SN850's.  

Yes, although on other OS than Windows there is some debate over if you should TRIM automatically or just do it weekly or monthly to reduce wear.  But generally there is no agreement on if it matters, other than you want to do it at some point to keep writes responsive.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yes, although on other OS than Windows there is some debate over if you should TRIM in real-time or just do it weekly or monthly to reduce wear.  But generally there is no agreement on if it matters, other than you want to do it at some point to keep writes responsive.

I have both my drives set to trim every day in the WD app.  I guess I will leave it as is.  TY! 

2 minutes ago, King_PIN said:

Not sure you need it, Windows should enable automatic TRIM where the drives will just periodically do it on their own.  I wonder if the WD app disables that in favour of doing it on a routine?  You'd think so if its an option there.

I'd imagine how often it needs doing would be based on how much data you are moving vs free storage space, as it will favour writing to least used cells anyway.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I don't see any option in the WD APP.  

How do I find it in Windows? 

edit:  I found it in Windows admin services and it's off.  

5 minutes ago, King_PIN said:

I don't see any option in the WD APP.  

How do I find it in Windows? 

edit:  I found it in Windows admin services and it's off.  

Yeah I'd assume if you enable a schedule in the WD APP it would turn it off in Windows, you wouldn't want to do both.

I'd probably not set it more often than weekly, maybe less and just keep an eye on if write speeds degrade and make it a little more often if they do.