Samsung 980 Pro 250GB or some other PCIe 4.0 ssd?

RYB-Michael

Hey guys,

so I wanted to purchase a PCIe 4.0 ssd for my windows drive and I was gonna buy a 980 pro 250GB and I just wanted to make sure I am doing the right thing

my Motherboard is x570-e

I just want it for windows and programs (no games)
I already have a 1TB PCIe 3.0 for my games and don't see need for changing that

I chose 250gb because then it gets pricey and I don't see any need for more than 250gb for just windows! even maybe 120gb would be enough but I rather it has some free space and also I don't think there are many options if not at all for PCIe 4.0 on 120gb range anyways....

thanks

P.S. : My current windows drive is to its end and that's the reason I want a new drive for my windows! and I don't want to use that 1tb PCIe  3.0 drive for my windows because it's for my games and I don't want to have to download the games again every time I want to change windows!

Edited by RYB-Michael
not enough data given to ppl for my issue

Just Do It..

The most sensible answer would be to just not do it, your use case doesn't benefit from it AT ALL.

Windows won't be any faster, games won't load any quicker, from that point of view it is complete waste of money.

Windows peaked on Sata SSDs, going from Sata to PCIE 3.0, the difference was minescule, and going from 3.0 to 4.0 is even smaller difference.

But hey, it is your computer. I would personally go for a Sabrent Rocket, if for some unforeseen reason I had to have a PCIE 4.0 drive.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

The difference between a gen4 and a gen3 NVMe SSD is not going to noticable to you.

Unless all you do everyday is transfer files over super fast networks.

nearly any NVMe drive you want will perform. There's no need to chase certain brands.

7 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

The most sensible answer would be to just not do it, your use case doesn't benefit from it AT ALL.

Windows won't be any faster, games won't load any quicker, from that point of view it is complete waste of money.

Windows peaked on Sata SSDs, going from Sata to PCIE 3.0, the difference was minescule, and going from 3.0 to 4.0 is even smaller difference.

But hey, it is your computer. I would personally go for a Sabrent Rocket, if for some unforeseen reason I had to have a PCIE 4.0 drive.

6 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

The difference between a gen4 and a gen3 NVMe SSD is not going to noticable to you.

Unless all you do everyday is transfer files over super fast networks.

nearly any NVMe drive you want will perform. There's no need to chase certain brands.

I think u got me wrong, my current PCIe 3.0 is not for windows at all, I don't want my windows drive and my game drive to be on the same drive since I have lots of games and it'd be a pain to download them again whenever I want to change windows and stuff, I currently have a sata 2.5 for my windows and it is almost dying ( I had it for several years...) I think I should've mentioned it before sorry

Just Do It..

3 minutes ago, RYB-Michael said:

I think u got me wrong, my current PCIe 3.0 is not for windows at all, I don't want my windows drive and my game drive to be on the same drive since I have lots of games and it'd be a pain to download them again whenever I want to change windows and stuff, I currently have a sata 2.5 for my windows and it is almost dying ( I had it for several years...) I think I should've mentioned it before sorry

That's a weird setup. 

if you have an NVMe drive, you can totally run windows and store your games on it. No biggy.

another NVMe drive will just eat PCIe lanes and burn hole in your wallet.

2 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

That's a weird setup. 

if you have an NVMe drive, you can totally run windows and store your games on it. No biggy.

another NVMe drive will just eat PCIe lanes and burn hole in your wallet.

well I'd rather not to partition a NVME drive and as I said I don't want to keep downloading games again every 6 months or less when I want to install the windows for different reasons...

Just Do It..

53 minutes ago, RYB-Michael said:

Then go for a bigger PCIE 3.0 drive, the difference between sata,pcie 3.0,pcie 4.0 for Windows is noexistant, Linus has tested it multiple times, and you won't gain even a second in windows load time, not to talk about normal operation.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.