Searching for a cheap and high spec phone for gaming + content creation

My mom said budget can be upto 300$ but im not confident in my content creating ability so id rather be 200$ or under just because im not retarded enough to ruin my families finances for nothing xD

The requirements for the phone will be a big screen (6'+), high refresh rate (90hz+), android 10 or older, rootable, can flash custom rom, beefy battery (no less that 4000mah), 6gb+ ram, and ofc beefy cpu

Spoiler

Big screen so i have good fov and can tap at more precise locations, high refresh rate incase i get to the point where i get good enough to actually harness the refresh rate and not have to deal with my cps not being registered, android 10 or older cause fk 11 with its bullsht scoped storage garbage and ruining compatibility with older applications (as per usual not concerned about security updates), rootable so i can run apps that need root and screw around with root, flash custom rom so im not stuck with garbage stock rom and more freedom to do whatever the f i want, 6gb ram or more just to make sure i dont max out the ram by running multiple apps, beefy cpu cause i for now dont give a flying sht about gpu performance since i play minecraft somewhat competitively and thats about it

Nice to haves would be the ability to run custom kernels and sht because phone overclocking go brrrrrrrrr (shut up the real risk is bricking not "damaging" and idc), a large community so theres a decent amount of mods for it, plastic back so no worries about back cracking and less weight so dropping it wont immedeatly ruin it, and a decent camera so i dont have to borrow my moms phone to make vlogs on pcs but more of a backup kind of thing

The phones that actually fit in this criteria are the poco series since they have high spec and refresh rate while being dirt cheap + big community so theres a bunch of mods and software for it (incl root), poco x3 pro are going for 160-200$ used in my area

Would there be any better phones than used poco phones?

And would there be any drawback to using a poco phone?

Edit: whoops being retarded and forgot to mention when im gonna buy, its gonna be somewhere around may but might get delayed till june

Edit2: for now ive settled for galaxy s20+ since it meets all criteria while having all the extra features of a flagship, yes its on the expensive side but id rather not have a crappy phone for the next 3-5 years

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

My mom said budget can be upto 300$ but im not confident in my content creating ability so id rather be 200$ or under just because im not retarded enough to ruin my families finances for nothing xD

The requirements for the phone will be a big screen (6'+), high refresh rate (90hz+), android 10 or older, rootable, can flash custom rom, beefy battery (no less that 4000mah), 6gb+ ram, and ofc beefy cpu

Reveal hidden contents

Big screen so i have good fov and can tap at more precise locations, high refresh rate incase i get to the point where i get good enough to actually harness the refresh rate and not have to deal with my cps not being registered, android 10 or older cause fk 11 with its bullsht scoped storage garbage and ruining compatibility with older applications (as per usual not concerned about security updates), rootable so i can run apps that need root and screw around with root, flash custom rom so im not stuck with garbage stock rom and more freedom to do whatever the f i want, 6gb ram or more just to make sure i dont max out the ram by running multiple apps, beefy cpu cause i for now dont give a flying sht about gpu performance since i play minecraft somewhat competitively and thats about it

Nice to haves would be the ability to run custom kernels and sht because phone overclocking go brrrrrrrrr (shut up the real risk is bricking not "damaging" and idc), a large community so theres a decent amount of mods for it, plastic back so no worries about back cracking and less weight so dropping it wont immedeatly ruin it, and a decent camera so i dont have to borrow my moms phone to make vlogs on pcs but more of a backup kind of thing

The phones that actually fit in this criteria are the poco series since they have high spec and refresh rate while being dirt cheap + big community so theres a bunch of mods and software for it (incl root), poco x3 pro are going for 160-200$ used in my area

Would there be any better phones than used poco phones?

And would there be any drawback to using a poco phone?

Edit: whoops being retarded and forgot to mention when im gonna buy, its gonna be somewhere around may but might get delayed till june

image.png.c89e9627cd7a06c31aebba525c8c42f2.png

Pick two. Fast and Good? Its not going to be cheap.. 

If its cheap its not going to be fast and good 

7 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

iPhone XR/11

i have an xr, i remember i was running fortnite great on it back in the day very minimal problems. i agree. 60hz on medium i believe

21 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

image.png.c89e9627cd7a06c31aebba525c8c42f2.png

Pick two. Fast and Good? Its not going to be cheap.. 

If its cheap its not going to be fast and good 

Cheap and fast, good is made up by running custom roms, firmware, and rooting, though ofc cant deny the meh build quality from something so cheap

8 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

iPhone XR/11

Oh ffs thats wayyyyyy overbudget and i dont even like iphones

35 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Cheap and fast, good is made up by running custom roms, firmware, and rooting, though ofc cant deny the meh build quality from something so cheap

Oh ffs thats wayyyyyy overbudget and i dont even like iphones

You can get a used iPhone XR on eBay for around 200 and a used 11 for around 300. 

They’re both faster than the Poco with a better camera and are better for your needs. Maybe decide if you want the best phone for your needs or a worse phone that you want because of the brand it is. 

51 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

You can get a used iPhone XR on eBay for around 200 and a used 11 for around 300. 

They’re both faster than the Poco with a better camera and are better for your needs. Maybe decide if you want the best phone for your needs or a worse phone that you want because of the brand it is. 

Ebay is not an option, and no idgaf about brand, there are actually cheap iphone xr and 11 in my area which is surprising but how the hell is it better when its stuck to 60hz when the poco is 120hz? Cpu is prob powerful enough but the damn display is not

Id also rather not be stuck in a locked ecosystem where apple is the one in control and sideloading is a pain, there is jailbreaking but what can you even use that for other than customization?

ill stick to android and keep searching for cheap high spec phones with large communities around them like the poco phones, i think some particular xiaomi phones have a large community around them so i may also take a look at those

Initially i actually looked at a galaxy note 9 though that gets completely outclassed by the poco x3 in specs while being pretty similar in price used

39 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Ebay is not an option, and no idgaf about brand, there are actually cheap iphone xr and 11 in my area which is surprising but how the hell is it better when its stuck to 60hz when the poco is 120hz? Cpu is prob powerful enough but the damn display is not

It doesn’t matter? Especially when the phone isn’t powerful enough to drive over 60 anyway. You’re focussing on “bigger is better” marketing over what is good for your use case. On one hand you’re talking about not wasting money and on the other dismissing the phone that will do what you need better and for longer than the device you seem to be locked in on before you even posted. 

Id also rather not be stuck in a locked ecosystem where apple is the one in control and sideloading is a pain, there is jailbreaking but what can you even use that for other than customization?

locked bootloaders are gonna be an issue for you then. You can also jailbreak an iPhone. 

ill stick to android and keep searching for cheap high spec phones with large communities around them like the poco phones, i think some particular xiaomi phones have a large community around them so i may also take a look at those

Initially i actually looked at a galaxy note 9 though that gets completely outclassed by the poco x3 in specs while being pretty similar in price used

Cheap and high spec isn’t a thing. Consult the triangle someone else has already provided. 

2 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

It doesn’t matter? Especially when the phone isn’t powerful enough to drive over 60 anyway

Im not talking about god damn aaa titles im talking about damn minecraft cause thats literally the reason i want high refresh rate so i dont have to deal with too low fps = cps not registered, astral "client" can set unlimited fps cap so that shouldnt be a worry

I might use my moms note 20 as a baseline to see if a similar performing exynos 990 is fast enough or do i need to get a faster phone, it also has 120hz and cpu is pretty similar but ofc it outclasses a poco just cause features and build quality which i dont give a flying sht about

Im coming from a vivo y51 that can only do ~40-50fps in minecraft and that usually gets ruined if i even plug in the damn charger or the pile of garbage throttles on me cause low battery so anything will be better, the poco is effectively a flagship but i only pay for the specs and nothing else

Display quality i really dont care much about as long as it doesnt look like sht but i mostly just need high refresh rate for mc, 1080p is fine aswell, no real reason to go 1440p cause i dont care that much about sharpness and i mostly watch yt in 720-1080p anyways

ill also keep having a look around for higher spec phones in this pricerange with equally large communities around them and also look at overclocking incase if thats even neccesary, but ill prob tweak cpu and gpu volt and speeds anyways cause i literally dont need much gpu performance atm so i can prob go downclock and undervolt it to save battery while overclocking the balls off the poor cpu

Actually i just found out that there are some really cheap used s20+ that are ~50-70$ more and with the better build quality, extra features, better camera, etc. Pretty sure its gonna be worth the premium

I dont think the community is as huge around these devices like those ludicrously cheap gaming phones but itll still be pretty big cause samsung flagship

8 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Im not talking about god damn aaa titles im talking about damn minecraft cause thats literally the reason i want high refresh rate so i dont have to deal with too low fps = cps not registered, astral "client" can set unlimited fps cap so that shouldnt be a worry

I might use my moms note 20 as a baseline to see if a similar performing exynos 990 is fast enough or do i need to get a faster phone, it also has 120hz and cpu is pretty similar but ofc it outclasses a poco just cause features and build quality which i dont give a flying sht about

Im coming from a vivo y51 that can only do ~40-50fps in minecraft and that usually gets ruined if i even plug in the damn charger or the pile of garbage throttles on me cause low battery so anything will be better, the poco is effectively a flagship but i only pay for the specs and nothing else

Display quality i really dont care much about as long as it doesnt look like sht but i mostly just need high refresh rate for mc, 1080p is fine aswell, no real reason to go 1440p cause i dont care that much about sharpness and i mostly watch yt in 720-1080p anyways

ill also keep having a look around for higher spec phones in this pricerange with equally large communities around them and also look at overclocking incase if thats even neccesary, but ill prob tweak cpu and gpu volt and speeds anyways cause i literally dont need much gpu performance atm so i can prob go downclock and undervolt it to save battery while overclocking the balls off the poor cpu

You know the poco will throttle too right? 

Again if you want performance, especially for content creation, get an iPhone. There’s a reason all the tech YouTubers carry around an iPhone in their back pocket even if they’re not using it as their main. 

1 hour ago, Imbadatnames said:

You know the poco will throttle too right? 

Again if you want performance, especially for content creation, get an iPhone. There’s a reason all the tech YouTubers carry around an iPhone in their back pocket even if they’re not using it as their main. 

Meh ill prob go get an s20+ instead, itll still have far better cameras than this crummy vivo and still be powerful enough for gaming and content creation

20 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Ebay is not an option, and no idgaf about brand, there are actually cheap iphone xr and 11 in my area which is surprising but how the hell is it better when its stuck to 60hz when the poco is 120hz?

poco probably wont get you over 75 or so anyway just cuz the way the phone is. the thing is you dont really need anything over 60 hz because thats already a smooth experience. thats equivalent to a whole ps4

17 minutes ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

poco probably wont get you over 75 or so anyway just cuz the way the phone is. the thing is you dont really need anything over 60 hz because thats already a smooth experience. thats equivalent to a whole ps4

Im gonna play mc somewhat competitively

And yea now ive settled on s20+ since they are cheap, high refresh rate, and come with all the goodies that a flagship phone comes with

Ill be keeping it for 3-5 years so a good phone is def neccesary so i dont just get a rubbish phone and be stuck with it for awhile