*UK* Surplus computer stores (Online/Locations)

I think it’s incredible how much waste is produced from tech, it’s madness!

Big companies throw out working monitors, pc’s, laptops etc. just because they have new ones brought in. Even the stuff that broken is full of useful parts, just because it’s cheaper to offload it.

I want to know where this goes, if there ARE places to view this tech and buy it, or whether it is an area that could be pressured into doing so in this current climate.

It opens opportunities for tech minded people to start new businesses and recycle the immense amount of waste brought about from tech.

Thanks for reading technically three paragraphs now, it was tiring to write. *faints*

Computer hardware is getting expensive, now’s the time to complain about the electronics recycling and business lease cycle industries because I want cheap computer parts!

99% of the time you can’t buy that stuff, it’s all contractually required to be recycled, anything that runs through a moderately sized business.

What you do see is basically just first party refurbisher rejects, stuff they couldn’t take back on contract or whatever.

So let’s say DHL has 200 Dell optiplexes at a warehouse. They replace all their computers with new ones, they now have a pile of optiplexes to send out for data destruction and then recycling.

They do this because DHL as a larger company says they have to for data security, they can’t just host an auction themselves or the employees can’t just bring a few home for free.

They send them all back to Dell, or dells authorized management companies for these recycling programs, they destroy the drives and strip the PCs to go be recycled.

Alternative scenario, DHL sits on a pile of old optiplexes for 5 years past their replacement, they finally send them out to be recycled and since they’re off contract the recycler isn’t being paid to recycle them. So they clear all the drives with a hammer and put the machines on a pallet to auction off.

Someone buys the pallet of optiplexes for cheap, rebuilds them, and sells them on eBay for 100$ as Fortnite gaming PCs.

Repeat the following with monitors, overstock peripherals, servers and components, etc

I have always been big on recycling due to my parents passing down it’s great importance, and also that assumption is a lot of the time just idle thinking with no end result.

I did say if there ARE and the mention of starting or adding to pressure on the industries to make the tech recyclable therefore reusable to a more diverse group of people.

In countries where they don’t have so much they make do with it, and reuse things, make new things out of old.

If we have more of that attitude with our bigger waste contributors, it’s not really got a bad side to it?

I fail to see why when I make a post like this your first response is to find one issue and make that your initial point. It’s just negativity for the sake of it.

But thanks for the in-depth breakdowns. 

As for my personal use, I hold onto everything and reuse whatever I can. I am asking about for any old, dead parts currently locally to repurpose. Oh and I have a 3950x with a x570mobo and 2070s so I am happy for a while. It’s not about that.