Can I use G-Sync with my setup?

NoxiousTed

I bought two 75hz monitors with my setup about 9 months ago. At the time I was just using integrated graphics and the adaptive sync/free sync wasn't something I could use. I have a graphics card now and remembered that the option existed. I turned on G-Sync for my main monitor with display port since my other monitor is HDMI. I turned on the G-Sync indicator as well and restarted my computer. I launched a game and it didn't show up. I read that you should turn on V-Sync in 3D settings. I did that and restarted my computer. It also didn't change a thing. My drivers are also up to date at 511.79. As you can see it allows me to turn it on and I also tried full screen vs windowed and full screen mode. I also attached my part list.

image.png.d192e562ee3e434c532ea2d9b12ae80f.png

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pVHQ78

Not sure what you mean by it "doesn't show up". Are you looking for a setting in-game? Because there isn't one, Gsync just works passively. It's not like Vsync where you can turn it on or off in the game settings.

You have g-sync. The indicator doesn't always show. Some games block it. Speaking from experience, you should have v-sync turned OFF ingame and OFF in the nvidia control pannel. To confirm properly if g-sync is working, turn off v-sync in game and check the fps. It should be locked at the maximum refresh rate of your monitor even though you have v-sync off. Fyi not every game plays well with g-sync. In some cases it helps to have adaptive v-sync enabled in the nvidia control pannel.

4 minutes ago, Shoopman said:

Not sure what you mean by it "doesn't show up". Are you looking for a setting in-game? Because there isn't one, Gsync just works passively. It's not like Vsync where you can turn it on or off in the game settings.

In the Nvidia control panel there is a setting for G-Sync compatible indicator. It's supposed to show something in the corner of the game that G-Sync is on and working. Mine never shows up in games. So I don't know if it's actually on or not.

6 minutes ago, NoxiousTed said:

In the Nvidia control panel there is a setting for G-Sync compatible indicator. It's supposed to show something in the corner of the game that G-Sync is on and working. Mine never shows up in games. So I don't know if it's actually on or not.

Not every game will show that, in fact a lot won't. Just verify it's working by looking to see if the screen tearing is gone.

34 minutes ago, Digideath said:

You have g-sync. The indicator doesn't always show. Some games block it. Speaking from experience, you should have v-sync turned OFF ingame and OFF in the nvidia control pannel. To confirm properly if g-sync is working, turn off v-sync in game and check the fps. It should be locked at the maximum refresh rate of your monitor even though you have v-sync off. Fyi not every game plays well with g-sync. In some cases it helps to have adaptive v-sync enabled in the nvidia control pannel.

I just finished trying Apex, PUBG, and Fortnite. I did try to do Destiny 2, but my Destiny just isn't wanting to work right now. I did that with turning V-Sync off too in the Nvidia Control Panel. The frames aren't capped at all as if it was on. If you have any other games I should try I will if I have them.

1 hour ago, NoxiousTed said:

I just finished trying Apex, PUBG, and Fortnite. I did try to do Destiny 2, but my Destiny just isn't wanting to work right now. I did that with turning V-Sync off too in the Nvidia Control Panel. The frames aren't capped at all as if it was on. If you have any other games I should try I will if I have them.

Your gsync isn't working if you're getting more than the max refresh. It should lock your fps to the max of the monitor like mines does. Also checked your monitors and they should be compatable so i'm at a loss.

The only obvious thing i can see is your running 2 monitors? For testing purposes, disconnect 1 monitor so you only have 1 connected. Reboot the system and restart the monitor. Check to see if it's working with 1 monitor. It might just be that it doesn't like the 2 monitors.

2 hours ago, NoxiousTed said:

I bought two 75hz monitors with my setup about 9 months ago. At the time I was just using integrated graphics and the adaptive sync/free sync wasn't something I could use. I have a graphics card now and remembered that the option existed. I turned on G-Sync for my main monitor with display port since my other monitor is HDMI. I turned on the G-Sync indicator as well and restarted my computer. I launched a game and it didn't show up. I read that you should turn on V-Sync in 3D settings. I did that and restarted my computer. It also didn't change a thing. My drivers are also up to date at 511.79. As you can see it allows me to turn it on and I also tried full screen vs windowed and full screen mode. I also attached my part list.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pVHQ78

You have G-Sync working and setup, the indicator doesn't always show up.

3 minutes ago, Digideath said:

Your gsync isn't working if you're getting more than the max refresh. It should lock your fps to the max of the monitor like mines does. Also checked your monitors and they should be compatable so i'm at a loss.

You're correct in that G-Sync will not work over (in his case) 75FPS but it will NOT cap your frame rate. V-Sync does that, G-Sync does not.

@NoxiousTedI've been using GSync for 5 years now. G-Sync will keep your displays refresh rate in line with your games FPS UP to the max refresh rate of your display. If you have a 75Hz monitor, GSync will only work up to FPS. To make use of it, cap your frame rate in NVCP to 73 or 74 globally or per game and you'll have GSync working in everything. 

Generally accepted setup is to enable V-Sync in the NVCP however I don't do this, i'm fine with just capping my frames. Read more about proper setup and usage here:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/