SSD Information.

Recker Code-1

Hey guys I have a laptop Hp pavilion 15 bc406tx I am thinking to upgrade it with a SSD of Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB PCIe NVMe M.2 not for gaming just for installing windows 11 and to save boot timing and no heavy software's  so is it necessary to apply thermal pad to the SSD and I am also using a cooling pad.

Q1) Can we apply thermal paste on SSD? just a very tiny drop because I am curious. 

1 minute ago, Recker Code-1 said:

Can we apply thermal paste on SSD? just a very tiny drop because I am curious. 

You can, but without that thermal paste actually transferring heat to a heatsink (metal slab with fins, which will radiate heat) or to a heat pipe/plate inside your laptop it is completely pointless, heck it might even be worse (slowing down the dissipation of heat).

4 minutes ago, Recker Code-1 said:

250GB

Ehhh. I know you will be using just as a boot drive for Windows and maybe a few small programs... it will be enough, but did you check the price difference between that and 512GB or even 1TB? How much are you actually saving?

5 minutes ago, Recker Code-1 said:

is it necessary to apply thermal pad to the SSD

It is not necessary for most NVMe SSDs and it is not necessary for Samsung 970 EVO Plus. If you have the room for it in your laptop and you've got some low profile heatisnk that will actually fit, then sure do put it on it will help.
That being said, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it even if you wanted to, that white ribbon cable is in the way 😆:
image.png.90deeb5c3b36285da07511a777d0b615.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzWFRR4LWl4

Maybe you can route the cable under it though.

Anyhow I don't see this slot being connected to the rest of the cooling solution in your laptop, so you'd need to find some very low profile heatsink or it will interfere with the chassis of the laptop (if you can even find one that will fit)...
Just run the SSD naked.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet