Lenovo ThinkCenter MT-M 10AU No longer posting

SimplyChunk

Ok trying to trouble shoot my step father's little ThinkCenter it has a 4th Gen i5 with no dedicated graphics. It would not post.  Here are the steps I took:

Opened device and checked wiring 

All good but no post

Checked video by installing a GT210

Fan spinning no post

Unplugged Optical drive

No post

Unplugged spinning disk

No post

Unplugged SSD

No post

Removed a stick of ram

No post

Reinserted stick and pulled the other one

Posting

Swapped sticks once again

No post

Thought..Brilliant.  grabbed a spare kit swapped it in plugged in SSD

Windows 10

Plugged everything back in

Windows 10

Removed GPU buttoned up case

Boot loops for 5 minutes

Scratched my head thought "BIOS reset" pulled battery

Waited 5 minutes plugged battery in

No power at all

Pulled battery 10 minutes.

No power at all

Swapped to known good PSU and still no power

Swapped to known good power switch

Still deader than A line flairs with pockets in the knees

I can't think what it could be now.  I've had the battery pulled for half an hour now.  Gonna try again in a bit.  Anyone had this with their machine?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

I put two known working sticks in and it was working.  I then tried to boot it without the gt210 in there and it just boot looped.  So I removed the battery and now no matter what I do I can't even get it to power on

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

11 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

I put two known working sticks in and it was working.  I then tried to boot it without the gt210 in there and it just boot looped.  So I removed the battery and now no matter what I do I can't even get it to power on

OEM systems are picky about memory, because the bios is often programmed to only work with certain brands, i have this issue big time with early to mid 2010's dell machines. With those dells crucial is the best option as those are not locked out by the bios, but this may differ for lenovo. ALso, your onboard gpu is probably 2 times faster at least compared to a GT210, so i would remove it for best performance, or OC that GT210 if you want to experiment with overclocking because even in the gpu shortage we are in, the GT210 is worthless.

22 hours ago, SiliconMagician said:

OEM systems are picky about memory, because the bios is often programmed to only work with certain brands, i have this issue big time with early to mid 2010's dell machines. With those dells crucial is the best option as those are not locked out by the bios, but this may differ for lenovo. ALso, your onboard gpu is probably 2 times faster at least compared to a GT210, so i would remove it for best performance, or OC that GT210 if you want to experiment with overclocking because even in the gpu shortage we are in, the GT210 is worthless.

I only added the g210 as a known good display out incase it was the chip on the CPU

• 4 weeks later...

Well take that back out since that evidently isnt the issue. Im afraid when you removed the battery you shorted out something, did you unplug the pc from the wall when you removed it, because if you didnt, you likely shorted the board out somehow. If it doesnt work, check for leaky capacitors.