Need help 9900ks temp spikes

Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

if one core is overheating and the rest are good, then its definitely a problem with the paste under the IHS from the delid. You will need to delid it again and redo the paste. 

Current setup

9900ks delidded (1 year ago, professioially done)

CPU cooler H110 rgb

Problem:

This started happening a few months ago or maybe longer, one of the core on the CPU is hitting 100C+ in about 30 seconds while the other cores are nice. This results in BSOD on some games.

remedial attempts:

1) I tried reseating the the cooler (I reapplied the paste Noctua Nh-1) 

2) I underclocked the CPU to 4.7/4.0 avx/4.3 cache at 1.3v --> before it was 5.0/5.0 avx/4.7 cache at 1.33 (the temp problem is still not resolved. Only one core spikes to 100C and is possibly causing BSOD.

Should I have this delidded again? My hunch is that the vertical orientation of the cpu has somehow over time made the liquid metal droop down from one of the cores.

Help please~

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

if one core is overheating and the rest are good, then its definitely a problem with the paste under the IHS from the delid. You will need to delid it again and redo the paste. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Liquid metal does not last long.  Just use high end paste.  A few degrees higher when it’s working won’t make a difference versus having these crazy temps every couple years and having to re-delid it.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

• 2 weeks later...

well I got it re-delidded. Temps are back to normal. As suspected, LM was the culprit.

Here is what happened.

I replaced the stock 9900ks IHS with a copper IHS last year and over time, the gallium in the LM was soaked by the copper IHS and so it sorta dried out. 

So a reapplication of this should last much longer this time since that part is already soaked with gallium.

Now my 2nd question is, does heat speed up the soaking process? If so, at what temperature does copper start soaking up gallium faster? If could see a graph of this, this would cool.

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W