Graphics Card making weird ticking noise

Kevin el Gamer lol

Hey guys! I just had a quick question. Everytime I open a game that puts a big load on my GPU it makes this weird ticking noise. I would really appreciate if you guys could help me fix it. My GPU is the XFX AMD Radeon™ RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB. Thank you! 

7 minutes ago, Kevin el Gamer lol said:

Hey guys! I just had a quick question. Everytime I open a game that puts a big load on my GPU it makes this weird ticking noise. I would really appreciate if you guys could help me fix it. My GPU is the XFX AMD Radeon™ RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB. Thank you! 

Sounds like the fan is touching something. Is the fan clear? 

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

Maybe it's just my audio setup, but I don't hear anything but a hum of fans.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 minute ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

Sounds like the fan is touching something. Is the fan clear? 

I stopped the 2 fans with my hands and it was still making that noise

Just now, Kevin el Gamer lol said:

I stopped the 2 fans with my hands and it was still making that noise

And you are 100% certain it is from the GPU?

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Maybe it's just my audio setup, but I don't hear anything but a hum of fans.

Turn the volume up, you'll hear it

1 minute ago, Kevin el Gamer lol said:

Turn the volume up, you'll hear it

I did. LOL. Like I said, maybe it's just my audio setup. Is it a steady rhythmic ticking, or just a sharp tick when changing video modes?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 minute ago, Kevin el Gamer lol said:

I am

That is really weird. If you don't have any issues with anything i wouldn't worry too much for now, bur maybe you can drive to a local PC shop and get it checked out cause that is not a regular sound...

4 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I did. LOL. Like I said, maybe it's just my audio setup. Is it a steady rhythmic ticking, or just a sharp tick when changing video modes?

I recorded it with a microphone, maybe you can hear it that way

4 minutes ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

That is really weird. If you don't have any issues with anything i wouldn't worry too much for now, bur maybe you can drive to a local PC shop and get it checked out cause that is not a regular sound...

Yeah that's not a bad idea because that ticking is definitely not normal

Yeah, that definitely sounds like something rubbing a fan blade, or, alternately (and stay with me, here, because this theory is definitely out of the ordinary, but still plausible)...

Is it possible that the fans are not solidly attached to the motor shafts driving them? As in, the motors are racing ahead of the inertia of the fans? If they were glued together at the factory and heat has caused that glue to soften or melt, it could happen. Another possibility is that any keyway used to keep them assembled could have cracked or broken. That would explain why the noise continues when you stop the fan blades, because the motor is still turning and buzzing away at what's left of what connects them. Crazy, I know, but it could happen. It definitely sounds like an electric motor shaft grinding away at plastic or something rubbing a plastic fan. I guess it could be coil whine, but it doesn't sound like any coil whine I've heard of.

Another possibility is that something rubbing another fan elsewhere in the case is reverbating / telegraphing and making it seem as though it is coming from the GPU. There's an old trick my dad taught me to figure out where a noise is coming from with cars, and I don't see why it can't work with this if you can find something that's non-conductive to do it with.

Basically, you take a solid piece of metal (non-conductive in this case) that is long enough to reach you from outside the case. Touch it to any non-moving, non-conductive part of anything that could be making the noise, and put the end closest to you, to your ear (I've found that folding the lobe in helps to isolate ambient noise while amplifying the noise you are looking for). The idea is that the noise travels through the shaft, and the louder it is, the closer you are to the source. If you don't hear it from the GPU shroud or fans using this method, it likely is coming from elsewhere in the system. I would do this to test every fan in it though, definitely sounds like a fan issue. The nice thing about this situation is that most fans can be removed individually to do this test.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!