Hard Drive Testing

Votivee

I have about 50 hard drives of all different manufacturers, capacities, technologies, ages, and sizes. I have a dual bay hard drive dock and I'm looking for a way to test these drives and thin out the ones that are no longer reliable.

I understand I can check the S.M.A.R.T. data but from what I understand that looks at the current health data of the drives. I'm looking for a tool that will stress test the drives extensively and determine if they're reliable or not for future use. In my head I'm thinking something like Memtest but for hard drives. 

Is there a tool that can do this or will looking at S.M.A.R.T. data give me the same results?

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Well the first and easiest step is plug them in and see if they behave normally, if they don't the drive is for sure unreliable. to test the drives I would read the SMART reporting and run stress tests on them. I would imagine someone has made a memtest equivalent to storage devices but unfortunately I have no idea where to fine that.

I just used hddscan on a drive. It took over 48 hours on a 4tb drive for a butterfly test. Free, seems decent enough test software.