Trouble dual booting - MSI BIOS, Ubuntu/Windows 10

swansong34894
Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,
36 minutes ago, swansong34894 said:

I have 2 ssds installed, and I want to run windows 10 on one, and ubuntu 18.04 on the other.

Why not a newer version of Ubuntu? That is rather old at this point.

It should be install Windows first,  then install Ubuntu, it will detect the Windows install. In the Bios, you need to have both drives as a boot option, selecting Ubuntu as your primary boot option. Windows as the second one. When it boots you should have a Grub menu that lets you choose between Ubuntu and Windows?

I just build my first pc and I am having some trouble getting dual booting to work.

I have 2 ssds installed, and I want to run windows 10 on one, and ubuntu 18.04 on the other. It looks like I can only ever boot into one of them, it looks like the other ssd is not recognized as a valid bootable drive. In my bios, in the boot order, I can see that the most recently installed OS is visible, but the other os is not (the drive with this os is named UEFI boot disc, and has the USB marker on it even though it is not a usb drive; the most recent os drive is named after the OS, and does not have the usb marker).

I have made many attempts to reinstall both OSs, and to reinstall them in reverse order. I have also cleared both drives, and I have put both OSs on both drives (win on drive1, linux on drive2; and linux on drive1, win on drive2; nothing worked). At a loss as to why the second OS drive is not recognized by bios and therefore not bootable.

Relevent Specs:

Motherboard: MSI Mag Z490 Tomahawk

CPU: Intel i9-11900KF

SSD: Reletech P400 Series M.2 NVMe 2280 (2 sticks)

** I will try and get screenshots of bios to explain better

Ubuntu will see there's already a bootloader on the other drive and put its loader there too (even if you tell it not to in the installer, long-standing bug), so only one drive wil be bootable but should allow booting the OS on the 2nd drive.

If you want each drive to have its own loader you must only have that one drive physically installed at time of install. So Install one drive, install one OS, remove it, install the other drive and OS, then put both back in. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

36 minutes ago, swansong34894 said:

I have 2 ssds installed, and I want to run windows 10 on one, and ubuntu 18.04 on the other.

Why not a newer version of Ubuntu? That is rather old at this point.

It should be install Windows first,  then install Ubuntu, it will detect the Windows install. In the Bios, you need to have both drives as a boot option, selecting Ubuntu as your primary boot option. Windows as the second one. When it boots you should have a Grub menu that lets you choose between Ubuntu and Windows?

Thanks for the help. I went with a solution closer to @OhioYJ suggestion. I went ahead and installed both OSs to a single SSD. After changing the boot order in bios I boot into Ubuntu and can use the grub menu to get to windows. I am going to use the second SSD for just storage and give both OSs access to it.

I didnt try @Kilrah suggestion. The GPU blocks access to the second SSD, so it would have been more trouble then its worth to physically remove and replace drives; though Im sure that would have solved my issue just fine.

4 hours ago, swansong34894 said:

Thanks for the help. I went with a solution closer to @OhioYJ suggestion. I went ahead and installed both OSs to a single SSD. After changing the boot order in bios I boot into Ubuntu and can use the grub menu to get to windows. I am going to use the second SSD for just storage and give both OSs access to it.

I didnt try @Kilrah suggestion. The GPU blocks access to the second SSD, so it would have been more trouble then its worth to physically remove and replace drives; though Im sure that would have solved my issue just fine.

My dual boot setups are generally two SSDs one for Windows one for Linux, then a HD for data that both can access. Glad you got it working.