LTT Screwdriver

DaQuackers

Planning for my upcoming birthday (always get myself something) is there any point in holding out for the LTT screwdriver or should I just go ahead and get an iFixit manta/marlin kit.

My best friend and I both REALLY want the LTT screwdriver that's been showed off a few times.  But unlike him, I don't have any actually good screw drivers right now.  Just a little non magnetic pen driver from a spark fun kit and a socket set with a handful of bits.

From the peeks we've had in videos so far, it looks to me like the LTTdriver is the next size up from a precision screwdriver set. It's more like the Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver Linus used to use.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Standard-Handle/8-3-4"-Ratcheting-Standard-Screwdriver-(Orange)/SSDMR4BO

I don't know if they've officially announced all the bit sizes they plan on offering (besides that one quick run-through on WAN Show a couple weeks back), but they'll be the standard 1/4 hex width. (Just ground shorter.) You could even get an adapter to use 4mm bits in the bigger handles, like Wiha part 75803, if the kit doesn't include one.

EDIT Found hard confirmation on bit size:

On 11/10/2021 at 4:01 AM, LinusTech said:

Don't worry. Your other 1/4" bits will work in the shaft but won't fit 12 into the handle. Ours are 'shorties'. Standard ones will only fit 6.

An iFixit kit and the LTTdriver will be complimentary, filling different roles in a well rounded toolbox. I wouldn't hesitate to get the Manta kit now, because it won't make the LTT driver redundant later.

In the meantime, do yourself a favor and pick up a regular 6-in-1 screwdriver. Everyone should have at least one of those, if only so you don't have to loan out your good screwdriver when somebody asks to borrow one!

Edited by Needfuldoer
Added the Linus quote as confirmation of my suspicions

I sold my soul for ProSupport.