Faster pc?

Hi guys!

Im not planning on upgrading my pc soon, though I would like to get a vague idea of what to upgrade next.no matter the budget, so thing big!). I would like to be upgrading towards faster boot up times, so keep that in mind.

pc specs:

Cpu: Ryzen 5 5600x

Cpu cooler: Dark rock pro 4

Ram: 2x8 gb Corsair rgb pro

Gpu: RX 6500xt

Mobo: ASUS B550-A Gaming

Storage:

-500gb Samsung 980 Pro

-2 tb seagate baracuda

Case: Corsair 4000d airflow

fans: 3 in, 1 out

psu: Corsair 750f rgb

(This is not me asking for build help, I’m just wondering what people would do in my situation)

your PC looks pretty modern. how to upgrade would depend on what you are doing with the computer that is not working how you would like. using an ssd is good for boot times. if you want to improve boot times further i would look at what software is starting up with your machine and streamline that. 

you cannot change any hardware to get faster boot times. you are using a 980 pro which is one of the fastest drives on the market already, your gpu is the bottleneck so if you are going to upgrade anything upgrade that.

Hope my response helps 🙂 

GPU MSI Gaming Ventus OC RTX 2060 CPU Intel Core i5-12600k Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X Memory Crucial DDR5 4800 Storage Western Digital SN850 500gb | PSU Corsair RM650x (2018) | CPU cooler Corsair H150i Elite Capellix Monitor MSI  Mouse Logitech G305 White Keyboard Royal Kludge RK61 (Cherry MX Reds) | Headset Logitech G533 |

Just now, CantCompute said:

your PC looks pretty modern. how to upgrade would depend on what you are doing with the computer that is not working how you would like. using an ssd is good for boot times. if you want to improve boot times further i would look at what software is starting up with your machine and streamline that. 

Yeah, I got it about a year ago, and upgraded the gpu as soon as they came out. I was mainly sorta wondering if it was something like the 980 pro limiting the speed windows boots up, or if the cpu needs to be faster, to process information faster, or something entirely different. (I have little tech knowledge, and about 10 different websites say entirely different things to each other, so I came to the most trusted place I know :P)

you can't really make boottime faster on this with any hardware upgrade. it's already a top spec gen 4 ssd (assuming you boot from that)

windows is the limiting factor here. 15s boot isn't fast enough for you?

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

1 minute ago, Michael2 said:

you cannot change any hardware to get faster boot times. you are using a 980 pro which is one of the fastest drives on the market already, your gpu is the bottleneck so if you are going to upgrade anything upgrade that.

Wait, so is the Samsung 980 pro the fastest drive in the world available to general citizens? I thought that those intel optane things were faster, or am I thinking of something entirely different?

Just now, AT198864 said:

Wait, so is the Samsung 980 pro the fastest drive in the world available to general citizens? I thought that those intel optane things were faster, or am I thinking of something entirely different?

It is certainly one of the faster drives around. How long is it taking to boot. I'd be surprised if it was above 20-30s

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

you can't really make boottime faster on this with any hardware upgrade. it's already a top spec gen 4 ssd (assuming you boot from that)

windows is the limiting factor here. 15s boot isn't fast enough for you?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that it’s slow, it’s perfectly fine as it is for me, it’s just I’m interested if it’s even possible to get it down to stupidly fast boot times, like ten, or even five seconds!

1 minute ago, CantCompute said:

It is certainly one of the faster drives around. How long is it taking to boot. I'd be surprised if it was above 20-30s

Around 15s, I’m not saying that it’s slow, I’m perfectly happy with it as it is now, it’s just I’m wondering where my next upgrade could be, and if I could get it down to stupidly fast boot times

Just now, AT198864 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that it’s slow, it’s perfectly fine as it is for me, it’s just I’m interested if it’s even possible to get it down to stupidly fast boot times, like ten, or even five seconds!

No, as @SquintyG33Rs says, its likely windows will not boot much faster than this. I guess you could try a very lightweight linux distro which may boot even faster but i'm not experienced with that

2 minutes ago, CantCompute said:

No, as @SquintyG33Rs says, its likely windows will not boot much faster than this. I guess you could try a very lightweight linux distro which may boot even faster but i'm not experienced with that

Wait, so my limit is windows?! 😛

1 minute ago, AT198864 said:

Wait, so my limit is windows?! 😛

For boot time, yes.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, AT198864 said:

Oh wow, thanks, ok!

yup... i mean technically you can count 3 to 5s as POST time and you can turn on settings to make that slightly faster (if it's not already on) and there are software that speed up windows boot by skipping non essential stuff (usually you get it directly from your motherboard maker itself) like MSI fastboot.

but all these things really don't make that big of a difference when you're on an SSD.
find how to disable superfetch service though... that's always worthless (I think microsoft renamed it though)

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Change your GPU to a better one like Raedon 7 or Nvidia RTX2080 or better

21 minutes ago, AT198864 said:

Around 15s, I’m not saying that it’s slow, I’m perfectly happy with it as it is now, it’s just I’m wondering where my next upgrade could be, and if I could get it down to stupidly fast boot times

My 2018 970 Pro boots Windows 11 from power button push to login screen in 12-15 seconds. You're not getting any faster. 

The only upgrade you can make that would make that PC faster for gaming specifically would be a GPU. RX 6500XT is.. not great. For productivity your CPU can be upgraded, however that's only if you specifically have a need for more cores. For gaming, its perfectly fine and there is no significant upgrade to be had. 

9 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

My 2018 970 Pro boots Windows 11 from power button push to login screen in 12-15 seconds. You're not getting any faster. 

The only upgrade you can make that would make that PC faster for gaming specifically would be a GPU. RX 6500XT is.. not great. For productivity your CPU can be upgraded, however that's only if you specifically have a need for more cores. For gaming, its perfectly fine and there is no significant upgrade to be had. 

Yeah, I definitely need to upgrade my gpu next, though I’m gonna try and hold off for as long as I can because gpu prices at the moment are totally not overpriced in the slightest 😛

If the goal is load times and general responsiveness, there's not much that can reasonably be done. Everything else is kind of chasing after tail end performance. At this point HOW the data is stored and moved between CPU and memory matters more than what drive(s) you have. Yeah, x690 systems might end up getting you better SSD load times than getting a faster SSD. This won't be a big difference.

In terms of boot times - just leave your PC in stand by and/or enable quick boot in the BIOS menu.
If you're a bit experimental, consider a 100GB P4801x (if you can find it cheap - there was a while where they were $70ish on newegg) or 800p/M10 118GB (58GB might be fine) and see if using those + primocache (or AMD's new storeMI 2.0 though I can't find good data on it - it is free though and similar to primocache) does anything for you. You might end up in a case where you want 2 or more drives (this doubles bandwidth) or something faster like the 905p/900p. You probably won't appreciate the difference vs just using your current drive stock.

You're probably not going to get many gains in terms of boot time or even application load time on a consumer system short of trying to RAID a handful of p5800x drives and even then that will be limited. The main area I could see it helping would be towards when your main drive starts to get full and you have less pSLC cache to work with. The beauty of optane is its consistency.

Even then I didn't feel much of a difference between a p4800x and an ADATA XPG 8200 pro (original variant which people claim is faster).

1 hour ago, AT198864 said:

It's up there.

Optane drives are generally faster for everything other than doing backups/copies on a relatively new/fresh SSD with a lot of free capacity.

There's minimal reason to get an overkill optane drive (speaking from experience - see sig), especially since you can get much of the benefit from something far cheaper and Primocache or ZFS. If 50% of your requests come from cache and the other 50% come from your main drive you reduce IO pressure and latency coming from your main drive. You even have the possibility to get UP TO the combined speed of both drives together. You don't need much capacity for this. For a normal person 32GB is likely adequate, 64GB is pretty good and when you're over 100GB there's almost no benefit unless you're going out of your way to try to rapidly change between applications (think swapping between 20 different titles in a steam library within a few hours). This is based off of configuring a NAS with both a 58 and 118GB optane stick to speed up 4 harddrives. I spent more time benchmarking game performance than actually playing/enjoying games.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

2 hours ago, AT198864 said:

Don't turn off the PC. One - two seconds to start work.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.