intel optane vs ssd cache?

thaox155

I have a few question about optane vs an  ssd  as a cache instead i believe is much easier to just go with optane if your platform supports it but  what's the difference  of going that route vs using an ssd as a cache instead optane only . I'm  buying another 2tb  sata hdd for games and since games now  are often way  more than the highest available  optane 32gb i believe, will that affect performance if any or will I be ok?

This is basically doing a sshd solution and 32gb of cache is so small it might as well not be there. I honestly do not recommend buying a hdd for modern games and to just save up a bit more and get a simple ssd.

46 minutes ago, jaslion said:

This is basically doing a sshd solution and 32gb of cache is so small it might as well not be there. I honestly do not recommend buying a hdd for modern games and to just save up a bit more and get a simple ssd.

I agree. The only reason IMO that you would buy Optane today would be if you wanted to put your pagefile/swapfile on it for (maybe) better performance. But even that sounds kinda stupid now that I type it out. 🤔

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

I agree. The only reason IMO that you would buy Optane today would be if you wanted to put your pagefile/swapfile on it for (maybe) better performance. But even that sounds kinda stupid now that I type it out. 🤔

Optane is usefull as a heavy duty scratchdisk or raid, zfs,... quick cache but only in bigger sizes. 32gb and below are just kinda pointless.