Should I replace the thermal paste on my Mid 2017 Mac Book pro 13in.

Gav34
Go to solution Solved by GhostRoadieBL,

There's nothing wrong with swapping paste and doing a good cleaning, swaping the thermal pads as well with some 12w/mk ones (don't know what thickness off hand)

I tend to do this every few years on laptops, paste is probably still good but it's a cheap way to prevent overheating while you are inside cleaning it anyway.

Ok so I bought my 2017 Mac Book Pro 13 in(Non touch bar) right when it came out. Its defiantly stating to heat up. Even just doing things like using a google chrome the fan kick's in and the keyboard is warm to the touch.  I'm not sure if this is just Intel Hardware slowing down and ruining hot or if my thermal paste needs to be replaced. Its annoying because the fans are loud and destroy battery life. Also this seems to be a recent thing (like over the past year) If some one could please help that would be amazing. 

25 minutes ago, Gav34 said:

If some one could please help that would be amazing. 

If the keyboard is warm, that means: the heat is going away from the chip.

The exhaust air is meant to be warm.

If the thermal paste would be bad, the heat would stay at the chip, right?

So as a first step, I would open it up and blow out all the dust.

If fans still spin like crazy and temperatures are high, you can replace the thermal paste as a second step.

When you blow out the dust, stop the fans from spinning or unplug the fan(s). Rotation induces voltage and voltage can kill chips.

If you replace the thermal paste, be very careful removing the cooler, since thermal paste can be sticky. You can try and turn it a little bit.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

Have you ever cleaned out the fans and heatsink with compressed air and a paintbrush?

There's nothing wrong with swapping paste and doing a good cleaning, swaping the thermal pads as well with some 12w/mk ones (don't know what thickness off hand)

I tend to do this every few years on laptops, paste is probably still good but it's a cheap way to prevent overheating while you are inside cleaning it anyway.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Cleaning the heatsink and replacing the thermal paste could help the thermals. Keep in mind that your MacBook only has one fan though, and the size of the CPU cooler isn't really ideal. Those particular MacBooks are known to run quite hot at times, and the single fan doesn't help things. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Have you ever cleaned out the fans and heatsink with compressed air and a paintbrush?

No, I just got a kit to actually open the Macbook and I plan to try. 

3 hours ago, suedseefrucht said:

If the keyboard is warm, that means: the heat is going away from the chip.

The exhaust air is meant to be warm.

If the thermal paste would be bad, the heat would stay at the chip, right?

So as a first step, I would open it up and blow out all the dust.

If fans still spin like crazy and temperatures are high, you can replace the thermal paste as a second step.

When you blow out the dust, stop the fans from spinning or unplug the fan(s). Rotation induces voltage and voltage can kill chips.

If you replace the thermal paste, be very careful removing the cooler, since thermal paste can be sticky. You can try and turn it a little bit.

Ok I will give that a go. Thanks for telling me to unplug the fans would have never thought of that. It would have relay sucked if I had killed the computer. 

Any one know good thermal monitoring systems that you can sue for macs. I wanted to see if the things I am doing make any difference 

11 hours ago, Gav34 said:

unplug the fans would have never thought of that

Some people don't unplug it and it's still fine. This is just the safer way.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

I've found that taking this apart is a real pain. I've personally opted for setting a more aggressive fan curve with MacsFanControl. Yes, it's louder, but keeps temps in check. And as another poster above says, the keyboard will warm up but is a sign of the heat actually leaving the chip, which is what should happen.