3070 ti vs 6700 xt ... price to performance question

Cris.py

As GPU market finally dropped a bit and I have been waiting for gpu upgrade for quite some time (currently running RX 580) as I'm planning to upgrade to 1440p display.

Currently two very interesting options appeared in my local store: 
XFX Speedster 6700 XT for 800 eur

MSI x3 Gaming 3070 ti for 950 eur

I would pair these with 5600x. Which of these would be better value? Should I even wait a bit further in hopes prices drop further?

Very cool! Gotta love having options. 

According to these User benchmarks which have a lot of uncontrolled variables, it looks like the 3070 Ti would perform better. 

However, in some workloads, pairing an AMD 6700 XT with an AMD CPU let’s you take advantage of smart cache. Which means the full cache can be accessed instead of just a portion of it. LTT has a video about it.

It seems like the RTX 3070 is more expensive, and more performant. But, pictures are worth a 1000 words. So maybe watch videos like this to decide, this test uses your CPU. You can see in some instances how the 6700 XT can push more frames than the 3070 because it’s paired with a Ryzen 5 5600x:

I don’t know what kinds of things you plan on playing, or if you plan on playing at 1440 with your new monitor, but I’m not confident that a 5600x is powerful enough to not be a bottleneck for the 3070 or 6700 XT. You’ll want to research that first, or YOLO and get your Graphics Card, then do some tests to see if your CPU is a bottleneck—kick the can down the road, so to speak.

12 minutes ago, MrClean208 said:

Very cool! Gotta love having options. 

According to these User benchmarks which have a lot of uncontrolled variables, it looks like the 3070 Ti would perform better. 

However, in some workloads, pairing an AMD 6700 XT with an AMD CPU let’s you take advantage of smart cache. Which means the full cache can be accessed instead of just a portion of it. LTT has a video about it.

I don’t know what kinds of things you plan on playing, or if you plan on playing at 1440 with your new monitor, but I’m not confident that a 5600x is powerful enough to not be a bottleneck for the 3070 or 6700 XT. You’ll want to research that first, or YOLO and get your Graphics Card, then do some tests to see if your CPU is a bottleneck—kick the can down the road, so to speak.

Please dont use User benchmark as a source of truth. At best they can be used for basic comparison between different sku of the same brand/gen.

From reviews i find the 3070Ti has about 10-15% better gaming performance on average. (significantly more if you include ray tracing/dlss)

With Nvidia you now have Resizeable Bar which is basically the same thing as AMDs Smart access memory. It works with both Intel an AMD CPU of recent make.

The 5600X will be plenty good for gaming, especially at 1440p or higher as you get more GPU-bound the higher the resolution goes. a 3070TI/6700XT will be a good match for it.

36 minutes ago, Cris.py said:

XFX Speedster 6700 XT for 800 eur

MSI x3 Gaming 3070 ti for 950 eur

The 3070TI is 19% more expensive, for about 13% performance, so its not that large of a difference in price to performance, with the 6700XT bein a little ahead.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

If ray tracing is important, 3070TI.

If not and you want best value, 6700XT. I think the 12GB of vram will make it like the RX580 8GB in terms of value.

Do you already have the 5600X? I would actually recommend going with 10700/11700 (whichever is cheaper) or 12600k instead for the same price.

3 hours ago, Tegneren said:

Please dont use User benchmark as a source of truth. At best they can be used for basic comparison between different sku of the same brand/gen.

Good call. That's why I mentioned there are a lot of uncontrolled variables, but you're right, best to leave it off lest someone think it is a good source of information.

On 2/14/2022 at 4:08 PM, Tegneren said:

From reviews i find the 3070Ti has about 10-15% better gaming performance on average. (significantly more if you include ray tracing/dlss)

With Nvidia you now have Resizeable Bar which is basically the same thing as AMDs Smart access memory. It works with both Intel an AMD CPU of recent make.

The 5600X will be plenty good for gaming, especially at 1440p or higher as you get more GPU-bound the higher the resolution goes. a 3070TI/6700XT will be a good match for it.

The 3070TI is 19% more expensive, for about 13% performance, so its not that large of a difference in price to performance, with the 6700XT bein a little ahead.

This is the information I'm looking for - % of performance and % of price increase to remain on "price/performance". I tend to go with this metric considering you don't really know how the card will work in every single game. Cheers mate.

On 2/14/2022 at 6:31 PM, Jonathan Lee said:

If ray tracing is important, 3070TI.

If not and you want best value, 6700XT. I think the 12GB of vram will make it like the RX580 8GB in terms of value.

Do you already have the 5600X? I would actually recommend going with 10700/11700 (whichever is cheaper) or 12600k instead for the same price.

I already have the 5600X and I don't see a reason why I would go with Intel anyway considering the perks of AMD platform atm.

12 hours ago, Cris.py said:

I already have the 5600X and I don't see a reason why I would go with Intel anyway considering the perks of AMD platform atm.

what perks? AM4 is end of life there is no upgradability for the platform anymore. 10/11th gen Intel is much cheaper and you get more cores per dollar. 10/11th gen is not significantly slower than Ryzen 5000 and 12th gen is on par. 12th gen also has an upgrade path to 13th and potentially 14th gen.

Something to also note is that CPU benchmarks don't communicate the full value of having more cores in your system. Generally, more cores will improve frame pacing, frame timing and overall smoothness of game. Unfortunately, there is no real benchmark to show this right now.

You have already so I wouldn't bother changing it out at this point anyways.