Pcie adapter not recognized in windows.

kaneelschep

Ola!

I got an m.2 ssd. 240gb kingston hyperx. And it came with the original kingston hyperx pcie adapter. Now the M.2 ssd works fine in a gigabyte Z97 / i3 4310T that has onboard M.2.

But if I put it in the adapter it wont get recognized in the pc I want to use it in. A Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F / 2x e5 2620 with W10. Also not on W11 on this same setup.

Also my x58 / x5650 with w11 wont see it.

I borrowed another adapter. an axagon pcem2-d. that also does not get recognized.

And just to mention it. No I dont need to boot of of it! Just want to use it as storage.

Anyone know why it wont get recognized? And if its a chipset/mobo issue. Then whats the limit?

Thanks!

Does it show up in BIOS as a Storage Device ?

Also where are you checking if it recognized ? Windows Explorer or are you actually checking disk management or Device Manager ?

I checked disk management and device manager. All shows nothing.

I didnt check bios, since these boards probably wouldnt show it anyway.

Pretty simple why really. Nvme needs uefi bios enabled to have a chance of working with an adapter like that. It cannot be in a legacy or regular bios mode. Some drives like a samsung 950 do work as they support legacy bios.

SO basicly efi bios is the limit. Ok. Good to know!.. I couldnt really find that on my searches.

Then I will use the m.2 ssd in something else and stick to sata ssd's in the Supermicro.