Linux doesn't detect my Nvidia gpu

Thedreadlord

Hey. I've tried pretty much every distro in the top 15. On windows 10 everything works as it should. However on Linux the resolution always gets locked on 768 or 1024 and it can't be changed.

The strange thing is as I change the vga cables. Something else always happens. The nvidia card doesn't even boot up on Linux on the new Vga cable and then it works with the built in Intel graphics card. However when testing with the older cable it works again. Should I buy another VGA cable.

We are talking about Nvidia GT 750. And an older 22 inches Hp Screen.

What could be the issue?Hey. I've tried pretty much every distro in the top 15. On Windows 10, everything works as it should. However, on Linux the resolution always gets locked on 768 or 1024 and it can't be changed.

The strange thing is as I change the vga cables. Something else always happens. The nvidia card doesn't even boot up on Linux on the new Vga cable, and then it works with the built-in Intel graphics card. However, when testing with the older cable it works again. Should I buy another VGA cable.

What could be the issue?

VGA?.. does the card have white ports or blue ports? . blue are 15 pin vga, white are something DVI .. do  you have a mini-hdmi to hdmi cable? ..  what ports does the montior have? 

do you know if the kernel supports nvidia cards at all?.. last time many years ago.... over a decade actually. i had to compile the kernel to make it work, but all the distro USB's i've tested the last 10 years have supported NVIDIA from start, so i assume you have cables mixed up.. what works where. 

1 hour ago, Thedreadlord said:

Hey. I've tried pretty much every distro in the top 15. On windows 10 everything works as it should. However on Linux the resolution always gets locked on 768 or 1024 and it can't be changed.

The strange thing is as I change the vga cables. Something else always happens. The nvidia card doesn't even boot up on Linux on the new Vga cable and then it works with the built in Intel graphics card. However when testing with the older cable it works again. Should I buy another VGA cable.

What could be the issue?Hey. I've tried pretty much every distro in the top 15. On Windows 10, everything works as it should. However, on Linux the resolution always gets locked on 768 or 1024 and it can't be changed.

The strange thing is as I change the vga cables. Something else always happens. The nvidia card doesn't even boot up on Linux on the new Vga cable, and then it works with the built-in Intel graphics card. However, when testing with the older cable it works again. Should I buy another VGA cable.

What could be the issue?

Go to popos and download the iso with nvidia drivers

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

14 minutes ago, Robchil said:

VGA?.. does the card have white ports or blue ports? . blue are 15 pin vga, white are something DVI .. do  you have a mini-hdmi to hdmi cable? ..  what ports does the montior have? 

do you know if the kernel supports nvidia cards at all?.. last time many years ago.... over a decade actually. i had to compile the kernel to make it work, but all the distro USB's i've tested the last 10 years have supported NVIDIA from start, so i assume you have cables mixed up.. what works where. 

They are blue ones. Neither the gpu or the monitor have hdmi ports. What happened was I was using Linux a lot. Years ago. And suddenly all Linux distros broke out of no where. I went to fedora. Ubuntu and the list is long. I'm currently trying to resolve the issue. The things that are different since then is they stopped recognizing the gpu as gpu. It just says other display driver. However just right about this time. I changed vga cables once again (when this weirdness stated happening). I currently lack the knowledge about cables and thought all vga cables are the same. However there's a massive difference when I'm testing different vga cables. I will be able to count the pins tomorrow.

As for native Nvidia kernel support. Do you mean Pop Os Nvidia edition? I have tried that about 2 days ago and the same issue still prevail

Just curious, trying to figure out what GPU you have, techpowerd database only have GT 750M .. mobile.. or GTX 750.. is it a laptop? 

well vga cables are cheap.. sure. get another see if it works. 

Just now, Robchil said:

Just curious, trying to figure out what GPU you have, techpowerd database only have GT 750M .. mobile.. or GTX 750.. is it a laptop? 

When I first bought it it said Gt 750. It may have been renamed to GTX 750. However that's just about it. It's for Pc. Motherboard: p8H61-M LX3 R2.0

What distro?

750 will need old drivers AFAIK, and most distros probably don't offer these from the repos anymore, requiring manually finding and installing it. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Nope, GTX 750 is supported in its latest release of the 470-driver.

LINUX X64 (AMD64/EM64T) DISPLAY DRIVER
Version:    470.94
Release Date:    2021.12.13
Operating System:    Linux 64-bit
Language:    English (US)
File Size:    259.65 MB

GeForce 700 Series:

GeForce GTX 780 Ti, GeForce GTX 780, GeForce GTX 770, GeForce GTX 760, GeForce GTX 760 Ti (OEM), GeForce GTX 750 Ti, GeForce GTX 750, GeForce GTX 745, GeForce GT 740, GeForce GT 730, GeForce GT 720, GeForce GT 710

1 hour ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Nope, GTX 750 is supported in its latest release of the 470-driver.

LINUX X64 (AMD64/EM64T) DISPLAY DRIVER
Version:    470.94
Release Date:    2021.12.13
Operating System:    Linux 64-bit
Language:    English (US)
File Size:    259.65 MB

GeForce 700 Series:

GeForce GTX 780 Ti, GeForce GTX 780, GeForce GTX 770, GeForce GTX 760, GeForce GTX 760 Ti (OEM), GeForce GTX 750 Ti, GeForce GTX 750, GeForce GTX 745, GeForce GT 740, GeForce GT 730, GeForce GT 720, GeForce GT 710

Gtx 750 is supported all the way to 380. Which was in 2018 I think. What about the cables?