Wired connection Desktop-TV

Leo300

Hello,

I am building a new house and i have a question about the home cinema room.

As you can see in the image at point A there will be a desktop and at point B the tv. The root between the two points is about 6 meters. I would like to connect them but I am not sure which is the best way.

An HDMI is a solution( 6 meters is ok?), ethernet is another way i suppose with the use of adapters at both ends, thunderbolt maybe...

Keep in mind I would prefer a futureproof solution and there is a floor heating installation.

Any advice would be much appeciated!

Greetings from Greece!   

IMG_20220126_161200.jpg

i have actually renovated my home theater set last summer and have also connected by pc to my tv. the difference for me is that my pc is actually on the second floor so we drilled from the top to the first floor and put a hdmi cable through it. my cable length was only about 10 feet so I do not know about 20 feet. I would most liely say if you dont really want to waste that much money on adaptors that hdmi would be the best option. converting ethernet to video adapter are quite expensive and would only reccomend if you have the money to spend.

2 minutes ago, mrekk said:

i have actually renovated my home theater set last summer and have also connected by pc to my tv. the difference for me is that my pc is actually on the second floor so we drilled from the top to the first floor and put a hdmi cable through it. my cable length was only about 10 feet so I do not know about 20 feet. I would most liely say if you dont really want to waste that much money on adaptors that hdmi would be the best option. converting ethernet to video adapter are quite expensive and would only reccomend if you have the money to spend.

Thank you for your answer. I am willing to spend 100-150 as long as have stable transmission. So I suppose ethernet cat6.. Should you have any adapter to suggest would be very helpful since here where I live the choices are very limited.

Is that 6 meters / 20 feet just along the floor or does that include elevation each side?

If its included than a good quality standard copper wire 20' HDMI cable from a reputable brand shouldn't have issues, its once u reach 25m things get a bit iffy.

To go beyond that u should go with optical cables, which are more expensive but can go waaaay longer distances.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Is that 6 meters / 20 feet just along the floor or does that include elevation each side?

If its included than a good quality standard copper wire 20' HDMI cable from a reputable brand shouldn't have issues, its once u reach 25m things get a bit iffy.

To go beyond that u should go with optical cables, which are more expensive but can go waaaay longer distances.

Thank you SolarNova. The elevation is included it is 6 meters in total. What realy concerns me about hdmi is that if someday I want to change it, it is a bit chunky and rigid and that could be a problem..

26 minutes ago, Leo300 said:

Thank you SolarNova. The elevation is included it is 6 meters in total. What realy concerns me about hdmi is that if someday I want to change it, it is a bit chunky and rigid and that could be a problem..

I mean thats gunna really depend on the finer details of how exactly your going to route the wire, but yes copper wire HDMI is 'chunky', especially the higher quality longer cables. If thats a worry then u should probably look into optical HDMI as they are substantially thinner and more flexible, with the exception of super tight bends.

My understanding of them is that they add no latency at the kind of length the average joe will need, so purchasing a 6-10meter optical HDMI 2.1 cable would likely be the option, their price however may be an issue. In the UK they seem to go for around £75 - £100 for 10m HDMI 2.1. In the US i'd suspect that like $100-$150.

EDIT

Vincent recently done a vid on a 20meter HDMI 2.1 optical cable. Should give u an idea of how flexible they are and what they are capable of.

This 20m (65') cable costs ~ £120 in the UK.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |