Website disables my browser back button????

mr moose
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

How do they do this and how can I stop it?

They're essentially clearing the page history using JavaScript. So the way to stop it would be to disable JS, which isn't really practical anymore. There are probably extensions out there that can block specific scripts (some form of ad blocker and/or NoScript maybe).

Personally, I simply open search results with a middle click to open them in a new page to stop these kind of shenanigans. Some Microsoft pages also like to break the back button, by redirecting you endlessly, so even if you click back you end up on their site again.

I searched for minwax products in duckduckgo, one of the results was their facebook page.  When I clicked and it loaded the facebook page,  the browsers back button greyed out and it won't let me return to the search.  How do they do this and how can I stop it?  I find it very rude.

Using FF latest updates.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

How do they do this and how can I stop it?

They're essentially clearing the page history using JavaScript. So the way to stop it would be to disable JS, which isn't really practical anymore. There are probably extensions out there that can block specific scripts (some form of ad blocker and/or NoScript maybe).

Personally, I simply open search results with a middle click to open them in a new page to stop these kind of shenanigans. Some Microsoft pages also like to break the back button, by redirecting you endlessly, so even if you click back you end up on their site again.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Thank you, I will be doing that from now on.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.