SSD Question

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
3 minutes ago, David Hadley said:

I would like some help on this as soon as possible. I talked to an MSI support they stated it could be the new m.2 drive. I know the GEN 4 will run at GEN 3 speeds 

My first thought would be that MSI is right, the SSD is DOA. It's pretty rare, especially with Samsung drives, but it can happen, and it sounds like you just got unlucky. Does it boot if the 980 Pro is the only drive in the system?

I have an MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Carbon Pro AC and currently I have an m.2 PCEI Gen 3 Samsung 970 Evo and I bought another m.2 PCEI Gen 4 Samsung 980 Pro but the PC does not post when I install the drive. It states the DRAM long white light flash and CPU short white light flash and it doesn’t post. But when I uninstall the new GEN 4 ssd it works. Would it help if I uninstall my boot GEN 3 drive and install the GEN 4 in the top m.2 slot and the boot drive in the bottom m.2 slot?

1 minute ago, David Hadley said:

I have an MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Carbon Pro AC and currently I have an m.2 PCEI Gen 3 Samsung 970 Evo and I bought another m.2 PCEI Gen 4 Samsung 980 Pro but the PC does not post when I install the drive. It states the DRAM long white light flash and CPU short white light flash and it doesn’t post. But when I uninstall the new GEN 4 ssd it works. Would it help if I uninstall my boot GEN 3 drive and install the GEN 4 in the top m.2 slot and the boot drive in the bottom m.2 slot?

I would like some help on this as soon as possible. I talked to an MSI support they stated it could be the new m.2 drive. I know the GEN 4 will run at GEN 3 speeds 

3 minutes ago, David Hadley said:

My first thought would be that MSI is right, the SSD is DOA. It's pretty rare, especially with Samsung drives, but it can happen, and it sounds like you just got unlucky. Does it boot if the 980 Pro is the only drive in the system?

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

I didn’t try that

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I am going to get a replacement and to see if the replacement will work