Switched from 3070 to 3080TI FE and facing low FPS issues.

ClawHoe

Dear LTT Community!

I would like to get some help regarding my new Geforce 3080 TI Founders Edition.

So, i've just swapped my Gainward RTX 3070 to an 3080TI FE, and i'm just getting lower FPS in all my games. (I'm mostly playing WoW, and Valorant, but its getting lower and lower significantly)
Usually i was playing with around 400 FPS in Valorant, now I'm getting 180-250 on average.
Same with WoW, I was playing with 150-200 FPS, now im getting below 100 FPS.

I'm running the system with a Ryzen 9 3900X in a B450 Tomahawk Motherboard. Using a CoolerMaster 650W Gold  Corsair RM850x (2018) Power supply, which is freshly installed. 
Ran an Unigine Heaven 4.0 Basic preset benchmark, and got a pretty low score. The GPU was maxed on 82 Celsius, the memory around 90-95. CPU was below 60 all the time.

Is the PSU too low for this card? Or what is causing the issue. Already did a fresh Windows 11 install, and all the basic steps of troubleshooting.

Thank you guys!

untitled.png

EDIT: The PSU is actually 850W Corsair RM850x (2018).

Have you tried completely removing your drivers with DDU and reinstalling them? After you download your new drivers disable your NIC so Windows doesn't try to automatically install old ones. 

Just now, Founders said:

Have you tried completely removing your drivers with DDU and reinstalling them? After you download your new drivers disable your NIC so Windows doesn't try to automatically install old ones. 

Yeah I've just did that, first time on my old System, after that i've tried a fresh Windows 11 install, unplug the ethernet cable, and manual driver install, no difference.

1 minute ago, ClawHoe said:

Yeah I've just did that, first time on my old System, after that i've tried a fresh Windows 11 install, unplug the ethernet cable, and manual driver install, no difference.

Your PSU should be fine. Is the card actually reaching 100 percent load? 

2 minutes ago, Founders said:

Your PSU should be fine. Is the card actually reaching 100 percent load? 

image.thumb.png.2f7e0903c7238135bf5acd31de0090ad.png

Its getting these values while benchmarking with the basic preset in Unigine.

Reinstall your drivers, something didn't go right if you're only at 40 percent load running Heaven (Just double check with the presets cranked up). You may also want to reseat your GPU in the PCIE slot and insure all PCIE power cables are securely connected. 

4 minutes ago, Founders said:

Reinstall your drivers, something didn't go right if you're only at 40 percent load running Heaven (Just double check with the presets cranked up). You may also want to reseat your GPU in the PCIE slot and insure all PCIE power cables are securely connected. 

I've did download the Valley Benchmark, and ran a test on Ultra preset, it did some 50-80% usage between scenes, sometimes I saw 100% for a second.
I've got image.thumb.png.ee46a301be239f16991454844ffa7b53.png72

I've got a 7200 score which seems to be low tho.

Yeah man, reinstall your drivers and let me know if that does the trick. 

17 minutes ago, Founders said:

Yeah man, reinstall your drivers and let me know if that does the trick. 

So I've just booted into Safe Mode, disabled the NIC, pre downloaded the driver, uninstalled with DDU, and installed the fresh one.

Got a slightly better scoreimage.thumb.png.576d34d0c44d0267da696a4b421cfab2.png

Are you running a 1080p monitor? All of your benchmarks are 1080p or lower. If that's the case then your CPU bound in games which would explain the lack of load on your GPU. Does your CPU actually reach its boost clock of 4.6GHz? Do you have PBO enabled? When you're running in 1080p the load on your CPU should actually be a lot higher then 1440p or 4k where you're more dependent on your GPU? I see your system has 32GB installed, it is running in dual channel, correct? One DIMM in the slot all the way to the right, and another second in from the left? 7 percent load at 4.1 GHz, your CPU should be working harder than that at 1080p. You may need to update your BIOS at the very least.    

28 minutes ago, ClawHoe said:

Slightly less on Heaven

Are you running your Heaven and Valley tests in Windowed Mode, or Full Screen?

Run it on Full Screen, so the benchmark is the main focus.

Were you also running Windows 11 when you had your RTX 3070, or were you on....Windows 10?

I don't know, since I haven't been following the Windows 11 situation, but the last time I heard / read, Windows 11 was buggy af, especially on AMD Ryzen systems.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

3 minutes ago, Founders said:

Are you running a 1080p monitor? All of your benchmarks are 1080p or lower. If that's the case then your CPU bound in games which would explain the lack of load on your GPU. Does your CPU actually reach its boost clock of 4.6GHz? Do you have PBO enabled? When your running in 1080p the load on your CPU should actually be a lot higher then 1440p or 4k where you're more dependent on your GPU? I see your system has 32GB installed, it is running in dual channel, correct? One DIMM in the slot all the way to the right, and another second in from the left? 7 percent load at 4.1 GHz, your CPU should be working harder than that at 1080p. You may need to update your BIOS at the very least.    

Right now I'm running on a Asus TUF Gaming Monitor (24.5" 280Hz 1920x1080)
I'm also having an MSI Gaming Monitor which is ultrawide (38" 100Hz 3440x1440) these are my daily drivers, but im mostly using the smaller one theye days.
The CPU seems to be standing in 4-5% all the time (Ryzen 9 3900X) while doing the benchmarks, sometimes around the 10-20%, so its usually at 4.1 - 4.2 Ghz.
I'm not running PBO and Ryzen Master, its turned off in the BIOS. The RAMs are in dual channel (4x8 Gig sticks) these are kinda slow its only 2666Mhz If I'm right tho.
The Bios is the latest, there is a new beta version now on the support site, but its cannot be installed (does not recognized by the MFlash utility in the Bios) 

While running 1080P Extreme preset on Valley, the CPU is standing around 7-10% on 4.1 Ghz clock speed.

9 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Are you running your Heaven and Valley tests in Windowed Mode, or Full Screen?

Run it on Full Screen, so the benchmark is the main focus.

Were you also running Windows 11 when you had your RTX 3070, or were you on....Windows 10?

I don't know, since I haven't been following the Windows 11 situation, but the last time I heard / read, Windows 11 was buggy af, especially on AMD Ryzen systems.

I was running RTX 3070 on Windows 10, but i've had the same issues running the 3080TI also on Windows 10, installed Windows 11 just today to try it out.
EDIT: Did a new Heaven run with fullscreen, got +20 score.

Edited by ClawHoe

40 minutes ago, ClawHoe said:

kinda slow its only 2666Mhz

There’s your issue. Ryzen greatly benefits from faster RAM, 3600MT/s being ideal for Ryzen 3rd Gen and running your Infinity Fabric at 1800MHz. If you don’t want to enable PBO I understand as it cranks your V. Core way up but faster RAM would still be a vast improvement. 

1 minute ago, Founders said:

There’s your issue. Ryzen greatly benefits from faster RAM, 3600MT/s being ideal for Ryzen 3rd Gen and running your Infinity Fabric at 1800MHz. If you don’t want to enable PBO I understand as it cranks your V. Core way up but faster RAM would still be a vast improvement. 

I have no issue with the V. Core, if its worth to use PBO, never used before, i give it a try, and also gonna buy some better ram sticks. What Mhz should i get to fix the issue?

10 minutes ago, Founders said:

9 minutes ago, Founders said:

I have no issue with the V. Core, if its worth to use PBO, never used before, i give it a try, and also gonna buy some better ram sticks. What Mhz should i get to fix the issue?
I can find some 4400 Mhz sticks for a good price, one is Gigabyte Aorus and one is some Patriot Viper, it should be fine?

2x16GB’s 3600MHz CL 16 would be best. Running 4 DIMM’s is harder on your CPU’s memory controller. 

3 minutes ago, Founders said:

2x16GB’s 3600MHz CL 16 would be best. Running 4 DIMM’s is harder on your CPU’s memory controller. 

So its better to run 2x16GB on 3600Mhz instead of 4x8 Gigs on 4400 Mhz? Gonna order some if I've got it right.

I can only find 3600Mhz and 3733Mhz 16Gig sticks.

22 minutes ago, ClawHoe said:

So its better to run 2x16GB on 3600Mhz instead of 4x8 Gigs on 4400 Mhz? Gonna order some if I've got it right.

I can only find 3600Mhz and 3733Mhz 16Gig sticks.

Yes, 2 DIMM’s 3600MHz, just make sure it’s CAS latency is 16. For example.

11 minutes ago, Founders said:

Yes, 2 DIMM’s 3600MHz, just make sure it’s CAS latency is 16. For example.

Great! I was able to Get Kingston FURY 16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Renegade Black 1Gx8 x2 in my country assuming CL16 stands for CAS latency

34 minutes ago, ClawHoe said:

assuming CL16 stands for CAS latency

It does. Don’t forget to enable XMP when you install your new RAM. PBO would help as well if your cooler is up to the task. 

10 hours ago, Founders said:

It does. Don’t forget to enable XMP when you install your new RAM. PBO would help as well if your cooler is up to the task. 

Update: Got my 2x 16 GB Sticks, installed in the 1st and 3rd socket, turned on PBO, applied XMP 2 Profile, downloaded ryzen master and using it in Game Mode, got 400+ score, now I'm at around 7900 in Heaven benchmark.

FPS still seems to be too low. I don't get it, can't even manage to get a stable 280 FPS in Valorant, gonna check WoW soon.