Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GPU Link Speed Help

TubbyTubb
 Share

OK so some of you may have seen my older post where I was trying to get my 1050Ti up and going and I figured it was a lost cause. Well yesterday I was bored out of my mind and got a wild hair up my ass so I thought about giving it another shot. I took the whole thing apart, I didn't get pics unfortunately, but I came across some small amount of corrosion on some of the traces so I broke out the ISO Alcohol and a toothbrush and done a little cleaning on it. I let it dry thoroughly and reapplied some TIM put everything back together stuck it in the MOBO hit the power button and voila I had video. I installed the latest drivers for it rebooted and all the normal stuff went and done a few different benches and compared to what I had in my last system(2xSapphire Radeon 5770 in Xfire LMAO) it done amazing, The 5770 I had a max score of 62xxx on 3DMark2001SE with this card I done 106xxx so I was happy about that LOL. Well today I got to looking around on some of the settings, I haven't downloaded any software to OC it yet, but I noticed in GPU-Z and I noticed that it says it supports PCI-E X16 3.0 but as you can see in the screenshot that it's only connecting @x1 3.0. Could someone point me in the right direction on what to check or adjust or something to get it to full speed? I would greatly appreciate it. You can see the specs for my system in my signature. On a side note I'm seriously considering buying one of these Haven't decided which yet

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-6900-xt-rx6900xt-ocf-16g/p/N82E16814930057?Description=radeon gpu&cm_re=radeon_gpu-_-14-930-057-_-Product&quicklink=true

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-6800-xt-rx6900xt-pgd-16g/p/N82E16814930052?Description=radeon gpu&cm_re=radeon_gpu-_-14-930-052-_-Product&quicklink=true

 

at the end of March or first part of April and then letting my nephew have this one since his died on him. So I'm just wanting to get this one up and going until I have the money to buy one of the ones I listed. Thanks Y'all.

 

THOMAS

GPU-Z Interface setting.gif

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 | i9-10850K@5Ghz | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB GSkill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom Loop In The Works| EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 NVME RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's RAID-0 | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache RAID-1 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Normal. Hover over the readout, it'll tell you it's a dynamic setting. Then click the ? next to the readout and read the description, then hit the start render test button. 

 

This is my 3090 at idle, completely normal. As soon as I do something graphically intensive, it jumps to 4.0.

 

image.png.e31d40ba2d66c0bd2a485e11d26e7be3.png

5800x/3090

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Normal. Hover over the readout, it'll tell you it's a dynamic setting. Then click the ? next to the readout and read the description, then hit the start render test button. 

 

This is my 3090 at idle, completely normal. As soon as I do something graphically intensive, it jumps to 4.0.

 

image.png.e31d40ba2d66c0bd2a485e11d26e7be3.png

OK I'll go check that right now Thank You.

 

THOMAS

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 | i9-10850K@5Ghz | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB GSkill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom Loop In The Works| EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 NVME RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's RAID-0 | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache RAID-1 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

??? I done what you said and that's what it shows.

 

THOMAS

 

image.thumb.png.95b19a07e2878ebc2b8698730a6487a5.png

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 | i9-10850K@5Ghz | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB GSkill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom Loop In The Works| EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 NVME RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's RAID-0 | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache RAID-1 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TubbyTubb said:

??? I done what you said and that's what it shows.

 

THOMAS

 

image.thumb.png.95b19a07e2878ebc2b8698730a6487a5.png

You must still have a bad connection then. I don't have the history on this card but are you 1000% certain the traces on the PCIe connector AND the PCIe slot you're using are clean? What motherboard? Can you try another slot? 

5800x/3090

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, rickeo said:

You must still have a bad connection then. I don't have the history on this card but are you 1000% certain the traces on the PCIe connector AND the PCIe slot you're using are clean? What motherboard? Can you try another slot? 

Z490 AsRock Steel legend. I am turning the system off and triple checking to make sure. It will be a few but I'll reply back just as soon as I check.

 

THOMAS

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 | i9-10850K@5Ghz | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB GSkill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom Loop In The Works| EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 NVME RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's RAID-0 | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache RAID-1 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rickeo said:

You must still have a bad connection then. I don't have the history on this card but are you 1000% certain the traces on the PCIe connector AND the PCIe slot you're using are clean? What motherboard? Can you try another slot? 

Hey man sorry to keep you waiting I had a slight accident earlier and I won't be able to check it until tomorrow I really do apologize.

 

THOMAS

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 | i9-10850K@5Ghz | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB GSkill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom Loop In The Works| EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 NVME RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's RAID-0 | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache RAID-1 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2022 at 7:04 PM, rickeo said:

You must still have a bad connection then. I don't have the history on this card but are you 1000% certain the traces on the PCIe connector AND the PCIe slot you're using are clean? What motherboard? Can you try another slot? 

OK sorry about last night again, I'm disabled and I fell and hurt myself again. So I done what you suggested I took it out and looked and it did have some little something on the fingers so I used a little ISO again and cleaned them then I used the old eraser trick and got the residual off of them reinstalled it and I got this this time. Would you suggest I take it back apart and clean it again? Or might there be a setting somewhere that isn't quite right? Thanks again it's headed in the right direction for sure.

 

THOMAS

GPU-Z Interface setting Better.gif

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 | i9-10850K@5Ghz | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB GSkill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom Loop In The Works| EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 NVME RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's RAID-0 | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache RAID-1 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, TubbyTubb said:

OK sorry about last night again, I'm disabled and I fell and hurt myself again. So I done what you suggested I took it out and looked and it did have some little something on the fingers so I used a little ISO again and cleaned them then I used the old eraser trick and got the residual off of them reinstalled it and I got this this time. Would you suggest I take it back apart and clean it again? Or might there be a setting somewhere that isn't quite right? Thanks again it's headed in the right direction for sure.

 

THOMAS

 

Hey no problem!

 

So, this is pretty funny but you've improved it! We're now up to x8! I don't know what the history is on this card and why its so dirty but you've made an improvement. On one hand, a 1050Ti definitely doesn't need a full x16 to perform at its fullest but at this point, you might as well keep cleaning because that seems to be working. 

 

I should ask, what board and what PCIe slot in that board is this installed in? It may just be an x8 slot so we better make sure before you do any more work. 

5800x/3090

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Hey no problem!

 

So, this is pretty funny but you've improved it! We're now up to x8! I don't know what the history is on this card and why its so dirty but you've made an improvement. On one hand, a 1050Ti definitely doesn't need a full x16 to perform at its fullest but at this point, you might as well keep cleaning because that seems to be working. 

 

I should ask, what board and what PCIe slot in that board is this installed in? It may just be an x8 slot so we better make sure before you do any more work. 

OK so the card was originally my nephews that he had in an old build but then his young son spilled a drink in it and it popped the PSU, so he got another card. Well I bought him a new MOBO, SSD, CPU and Cooler and gave him one of my old standard HDD's so he would have storage to put his games on. I got his up and running again even though he still swears there's something wrong with it, I'm about to pull my hair out about that, so I just had this one laying here and decided to give it another shot at getting it to work he's getting a different card not sure which yet but I have this one not doing anything until hopefully I can do a major upgrade to match the rest of my system. This is my board, I just built this rig last march so I'm fairly certain everything is working the way it's supposed to but who know anything is possible. I have the GPU in the top silver PCI-E 3.0x16 slot on the board. I have plenty of ISO and MX-4 so that's not an issue LMAO, once you verify what I've replied I can take it back out and clean the hell out of it again just to be doubly sure.

 

THOMAS

 

 

Z490 Steel Legend Board.jpg

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 | i9-10850K@5Ghz | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB GSkill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom Loop In The Works| EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 NVME RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's RAID-0 | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache RAID-1 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TubbyTubb said:

OK so the card was originally my nephews that he had in an old build but then his young son spilled a drink in it and it popped the PSU, so he got another card. Well I bought him a new MOBO, SSD, CPU and Cooler and gave him one of my old standard HDD's so he would have storage to put his games on. I got his up and running again even though he still swears there's something wrong with it, I'm about to pull my hair out about that, so I just had this one laying here and decided to give it another shot at getting it to work he's getting a different card not sure which yet but I have this one not doing anything until hopefully I can do a major upgrade to match the rest of my system. This is my board, I just built this rig last march so I'm fairly certain everything is working the way it's supposed to but who know anything is possible. I have the GPU in the top silver PCI-E 3.0x16 slot on the board. I have plenty of ISO and MX-4 so that's not an issue LMAO, once you verify what I've replied I can take it back out and clean the hell out of it again just to be doubly sure.

 

THOMAS

 

 

 

 

Ok so that top slot is definitely x16 electrically. I guess thinking about it now my concern is that whatever was on the card might have got down into the PCIe slot itself and that's much harder to clean. You can try cleaning it again but after that my suggestion will be trying it in another motherboard that we know is also clean. 

 

5800x/3090

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

 

Ok so that top slot is definitely x16 electrically. I guess thinking about it now my concern is that whatever was on the card might have got down into the PCIe slot itself and that's much harder to clean. You can try cleaning it again but after that my suggestion will be trying it in another motherboard that we know is also clean. 

 

OK it won't be tonight but when I get up tomorrow I'll yank it back out and clean it again reinstall and keep my fingers crossed. Unfortunately I don't nor does anyone I know besides my nephew have another system I could try it in, but I'll give it a go tomorrow and see if it improves if not then I'll grab my flashlight and my magnifying glass just to see if there is anything in the PCI-E slot itself and if so I'll deal with it. I appreciate the help and I'll update this as soon as I get it reinstalled and fired up, hopefully without any actual fire lol.

 

THOMAS

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 | i9-10850K@5Ghz | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB GSkill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom Loop In The Works| EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 NVME RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's RAID-0 | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache RAID-1 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@rickeo Hey if it's not too much trouble can you check out the 2 cards I listed in the OP and see which one you'd recommend please. Also I know I'll probably need a new/upgraded PSU which isn't a problem, but I wanted to ask with my MOBO being 3.0 and that card being 4.0 how big of a hit in performance would I take with that? Also would it be better just to go ahead and upgrade my MOBO to a 4.0 that will work with my other components, Ram, M.2's all of that stuff. Thanks I appreciate it more than you know.

 

THOMAS

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 | i9-10850K@5Ghz | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB GSkill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom Loop In The Works| EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 NVME RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's RAID-0 | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache RAID-1 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TubbyTubb said:

@rickeo Hey if it's not too much trouble can you check out the 2 cards I listed in the OP and see which one you'd recommend please. Also I know I'll probably need a new/upgraded PSU which isn't a problem, but I wanted to ask with my MOBO being 3.0 and that card being 4.0 how big of a hit in performance would I take with that? Also would it be better just to go ahead and upgrade my MOBO to a 4.0 that will work with my other components, Ram, M.2's all of that stuff. Thanks I appreciate it more than you know.

 

THOMAS

Ha, well, comparing a 1050Ti to a 6900XT is like a pedal cart to a Ferrari, if that helps. End of the day there isn't much of a difference between those two 6900xt models. The "factory" overclocked difference isn't much in the real world. The more expensive model might run a little cooler as it appears to have a beefier cooler so that's something to keep in mind. It just sucks seeing that price... It was supposed to be a $1000 card. Anyway..

 

What resolution is your display? Those cards are 1440p-4K territory and depending on your CPU and resolution they might need an upgrade to keep up with them. As for the 3.0 vs 4.0 thing, the difference is a few percentage points, nothing to really worry about. These generation cards are right on the cusp of fully saturating a PCIe x16 3.0 link and the difference is negligible, they'll work just fine over 3.0. Though again, depending on your CPU it might be worth a whole system update.

 

Actually, I see in your signature you have a 10th gen i9? Is that on the Z490 board?

5800x/3090

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Ha, well, comparing a 1050Ti to a 6900XT is like a pedal cart to a Ferrari, if that helps. End of the day there isn't much of a difference between those two 6900xt models. The "factory" overclocked difference isn't much in the real world. The more expensive model might run a little cooler as it appears to have a beefier cooler so that's something to keep in mind. It just sucks seeing that price... It was supposed to be a $1000 card. Anyway..

 

What resolution is your display? Those cards are 1440p-4K territory and depending on your CPU and resolution they might need an upgrade to keep up with them. As for the 3.0 vs 4.0 thing, the difference is a few percentage points, nothing to really worry about. These generation cards are right on the cusp of fully saturating a PCIe x16 3.0 link and the difference is negligible, they'll work just fine over 3.0. Though again, depending on your CPU it might be worth a whole system update.

 

Actually, I see in your signature you have a 10th gen i9? Is that on the Z490 board?

Yeah I knew the difference between the 1050 and the 6900 is like going from a Cessna to a space shuttle LMAO. I figured if I'm gonna spend that amount of money on something it should be the best/fastest model I can get within a reasonable dollar amount, yeah that extra 600 makes my eyes water LOL. I'll be upgrading my current Samsung TV to this Highsense 120Hz HDMI 2.1 TV. Yes the CPU is a 10850K on the ASRock Z490. If I was to upgrade the CPU to say a Intel Core i9-11900 - Core i9 11th will I lose or gain performance going from the 10/20 CPU down to a 8/16 CPU?? I'm honestly asking because I haven't studied the actual difference between those 2 since it's a fairly new build I didn't see a need to. Also I know PC's and components depreciate a good deal but if I did upgrade the CPU and MOBO do you think it's possible to recoup a good % of what I paid for the ones I have now?? I think that answers your question up to this point.

 

THOMAS

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 | i9-10850K@5Ghz | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB GSkill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom Loop In The Works| EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 NVME RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's RAID-0 | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache RAID-1 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, TubbyTubb said:

Yeah I knew the difference between the 1050 and the 6900 is like going from a Cessna to a space shuttle LMAO. I figured if I'm gonna spend that amount of money on something it should be the best/fastest model I can get within a reasonable dollar amount, yeah that extra 600 makes my eyes water LOL. I'll be upgrading my current Samsung TV to this Highsense 120Hz HDMI 2.1 TV. Yes the CPU is a 10850K on the ASRock Z490. If I was to upgrade the CPU to say a Intel Core i9-11900 - Core i9 11th will I lose or gain performance going from the 10/20 CPU down to a 8/16 CPU?? I'm honestly asking because I haven't studied the actual difference between those 2 since it's a fairly new build I didn't see a need to. Also I know PC's and components depreciate a good deal but if I did upgrade the CPU and MOBO do you think it's possible to recoup a good % of what I paid for the ones I have now?? I think that answers your question up to this point.

 

THOMAS

For some reason I thought your CPU was older but 10850k is still considered high end and very fast, there is no need to upgrade that. As is your system is plenty fast to support a 6900XT. 

5800x/3090

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, rickeo said:

For some reason I thought your CPU was older but 10850k is still considered high end and very fast, there is no need to upgrade that. As is your system is plenty fast to support a 6900XT. 

You have no idea how happy that makes me to hear you say that ROFLMMFAO, I was seriously worried I would have to upgrade things other than my PSU that's not really in the budget but I would have bit the bullet to do it if need be. I'm looking at either a 1000 or a 1200 watt PSU just to make sure I have headroom for OC'ing everything just haven't decided which yet. The only thing I may consider after everything is said and done is making a custom loop for the GPU once I've figured out how to get the most out of it on air. I use to be a benchmark junkie and I miss doing that a lot, this was back in the LGA775 days and I actually held a couple of records for a while on HWBOT.ORG my profile is still in that I'll just have to update some info since the forum I was on isn't around anymore although I'm hoping they'll bring it back.

 

THOMAS

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 | i9-10850K@5Ghz | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB GSkill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom Loop In The Works| EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 NVME RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's RAID-0 | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache RAID-1 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@rickeoHey man just a small update I have everything apart and boy do I feel like an idiot I had clearly missed a few spots when I cleaned it the last time so I gave it a good rub down with ISO and a new toothbrush and it still had some I'm not sure if corrosion would be the right word maybe residue is better. Anyway after I scrubbed it I put it in a small bowl with more ISO to see if it will help break down whatever it is on there I'm thinking some type of soda or maybe tea because it had that dried sugary look like if you don't wash a cup out and it dries. I'm about to take it out and set it somewhere to let everything evaporate and then I'm gonna use some canned air to make sure no liquid is hiding in any of the caps or anything and once I'm sure it's as dry as can be I'll reassemble it with fresh paste and see what it does. I was still having issues from when I fell the other night and I couldn't even stand up straight until just a little earlier. I just wanted to give you a heads-up on where I was at I'll update once I get more done.

 

THOMAS

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 | i9-10850K@5Ghz | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB GSkill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom Loop In The Works| EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 NVME RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's RAID-0 | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache RAID-1 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh so pretty and clean everything that looked weird that I was talking about all went away after soaking all the parts in ISO it actually looks like a virgin GPU that was just made LMAO. I'm gonna let it dry overnight just to be sure and I'll reassemble it tomorrow when I wake up and get it fired up.

 

THOMAS

20220122_215001.jpg

20220122_214947.jpg

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 | i9-10850K@5Ghz | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB GSkill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom Loop In The Works| EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 NVME RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's RAID-0 | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache RAID-1 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well damn I have no idea what's wrong I got it all cleaned up and pretty put it back together put it in and nothing. I took it back out cleared the CMOS put it back in fired it up and nada. Everything was perfectly clean and dry, although it done this the last time I was messing with it, it wouldn't boot then I took it apart the other day again and then it booted but the link speed wasn't correct so I done it again. Maybe I'll take it back out and just let it sit on my desk for a few days and then try it again and MAYBE just MAYBE it will boot again and everything will be working correctly who knows. I'll keep this updated when I do more. Again thanks for the help.

 

THOMAS

20220123_190347.jpg

20220123_183616.jpg

20220123_192234.jpg

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 | i9-10850K@5Ghz | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB GSkill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom Loop In The Works| EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 NVME RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD's RAID-0 | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache RAID-1 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×