Internet

Prodien

Hi everyone.

Let me start by describing my setup. I recently switched ISP and I'm now on fiber optic (thx to Bell Canada it's limited to 100Mb/s), they provided me with a router/Wifi that only has WPA2 encryption. I want one with WPA3 for security reasons and I was looking at the Asus GS-AX3000. I'm on Windows 10. I tried updating the current router the ISP gave me but nothing. I'm not sure if it can be updated to have WPA3.

My question: is it better to buy a modem to plug in the fiber and then plug the modem on the router/wifi or just use a router/wifi like I have right now?

Thank you.

For home usage wpa2 is enough. you're being paranoid.

to use the new router, you have to connect the isp router to the new router with lan, and use only the wifi from the new one.

53 minutes ago, Prodien said:

is it better to buy a modem to plug in the fiber and then plug the modem on the router/wifi or just use a router/wifi like I have right now?

no, just buy a new router and use the old router as the modem.

you cannot just plug in any modem, it has to be registered by the technician to work. usually they wont allow 3rd party modem.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w