Windows sets display to wrong size

rapidkillerx
Go to solution Solved by Mavendow,
11 hours ago, rapidkillerx said:

how old? the issue has been happening for over a year, I'm pretty sure I posted on here about it

I apologize, nVidia has been having driver problems for quite a while. Not a lot of people have this problem so they haven't made much effort to fix this particular bug. I know it's been an intermittent problem since the 470.xx drivers but I don't know which version will help you. If none do, the only other thing I can think of is changing the monitor cable, but since this is a known nVidia problem, it's unlikely doing that will help.

My computer keeps setting the display size to the wrong size after restarts. It sets my 1920x1200 monitor to 680x480. I'd think about blaming this on my crappy monitor (NEC EA244WMi), but it does not happen in the BIOS, so to me that seems to lower the likelihood of that being the issue. I have a GTX 1070ti, and have already tried DDU to reinstall my drivers numerous times. I have also reinstalled Windows, which also did not help the issue. The issue will sometimes correct itself after a restart, but not always (the windows reinstall was because the issue happened after like 10 consecutive restarts). I've attached a picture of what it looks like, as well as what the monitor shows up as, and a photo of the monitor working properly, taken after the two others.

Edit: after switching to HDMI, the issue went away. This doesn't mean the issue is fixed, just helps w diagnostics.

Image-2.jpeg

Image-1.jpeg

Image.jpeg

CPU: AMD 3600X

GPU: Nvidia 3070 (planned)

motherboard: MSI B500-A PRO

memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB 3600Mhz CL16

PSU: EVGA B3 650@

Case: NZXT H510

wireless network adapter: intel ax200

What happens when you change your monitor to a useful resolution?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

37 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

What happens when you change your monitor to a useful resolution?

cannot change my monitors resolution when it happens

33 minutes ago, Mavendow said:

It's a known problem with the newest driver versions. Install an older driver.

how old? the issue has been happening for over a year, I'm pretty sure I posted on here about it

1 minute ago, rapidkillerx said:

cannot change my monitors resolution when it happens

@Mavendow’s comment made anything I might have to say moot.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 hours ago, rapidkillerx said:

I apologize, nVidia has been having driver problems for quite a while. Not a lot of people have this problem so they haven't made much effort to fix this particular bug. I know it's been an intermittent problem since the 470.xx drivers but I don't know which version will help you. If none do, the only other thing I can think of is changing the monitor cable, but since this is a known nVidia problem, it's unlikely doing that will help.