Swapping Motherboards today.. Should I also do a CPU?

I need to swap out my current motherboard (Gigabyte X470) because half of the usb ports have died and its becoming more and more unstable in other areas as time goes on. I'm going to pick up a MSI B550 board from Best Buy today, but I'm tempted to get a 5600x while I'm there. I'm using a 3700x currently and only game really. No content creation or anything like that. My video card is a 6600 XT. Would it be a waste of $300? I'm guessing I might not see any real difference. I game at 1080p on a 144hz monitor. Thoughts?

Given your graphics card, you're looking at a few percent difference in most games, and in other tasks, it's a side-grade. I'd save up some more for a bigger upgrade in the future.

I’m pretty sure you are GPU bound in most games so the 5600x would not be a worthy upgrade in my opinion. As others have said save the money and put it towards a better GPU down the line.

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G