No display

avenirr

Hi, i’ve had an issue for a couple weeks now and this is the follow up post. I had a problem where i wasn’t getting a display after changing my i3 8300 to an i5 9600kf but the fans turned on and no peripheral lights (mouse) were in when the new cpu was installed. However, when i put the old cpu back in it booted up fine. I decided to send the cpu back and this time i got a 9600K instead of the kf. It is a similar issue HOWEVER, there are peripheral lights when booting but no display. i could not find a single thread online where someone has this issue. Everything boots up (pc, pc fans, AND mouse/kb) just fine but there is no display. everyone with a similar issue reports having no mouse light like o had before. swapping to the k instead of kf this time  fixed the problem where the mbk wouldn’t light up and now it’s just no display. i’ve had a no display issue on my past build so i do have experience with these kinds of things but i’ve tried everything and am unsure. Again, even with the new processor my old one still boots. it’s with the new one that everything turns on yet no boot. Is there something i’m missing with a new processor that i’m not doing/getting? i’m not sure if this would be the entire cause of the issue since it does boot with the old processor just fine but on the MB itself there are 2 singular cpu pins missing, one at the bottom and one in the middle left. this is confusing me since it boots up just fine with the old processor but doesn’t with the new. i’ve tried resetting cmos, swapping ram sticks/taking out, unplugging usbs, etc. to no avail. any input would be helpful. thank you!

i3 8300 (old)
I5 9600k (new)
Gtx 950 SC+
16 gb ddr4 ram
Msi z390 a pro
Cooler master fans/cooler
Kingston 240gb ssd
2tb WB HDD

The 9600 does not have an integrated gpu, you will to add a separate video card to get display out.

16 minutes ago, mmk said:

The 9600 does not have an integrated gpu, you will to add a separate video card to get display out.

The KF and F variations do not, but the K and blank SKUs do.

27 minutes ago, AvenHere said:

Hi, i’ve had an issue for a couple weeks now and this is the follow up post. I had a problem where i wasn’t getting a display after changing my i3 8300 to an i5 9600kf but the fans turned on and no peripheral lights (mouse) were in when the new cpu was installed. However, when i put the old cpu back in it booted up fine. I decided to send the cpu back and this time i got a 9600K instead of the kf. It is a similar issue HOWEVER, there are peripheral lights when booting but no display. i could not find a single thread online where someone has this issue. Everything boots up (pc, pc fans, AND mouse/kb) just fine but there is no display. everyone with a similar issue reports having no mouse light like o had before. swapping to the k instead of kf this time  fixed the problem where the mbk wouldn’t light up and now it’s just no display.

Does your motherboard support the CPU? (Have you checked to see if your chipset supports this processor?) Also, are there any BIOS updates for your board that add CPU support for that motherboard. It might be helpful to provide the model of the motherboard and which BIOS you are on.

2 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

The KF and F variations do not, but the K and blank SKUs do.

My bad, you are correct.

5 hours ago, RaptorPudding said:

Does your motherboard support the CPU? (Have you checked to see if your chipset supports this processor?) Also, are there any BIOS updates for your board that add CPU support for that motherboard. It might be helpful to provide the model of the motherboard and which BIOS you are on.

i got the motherboard in may so everything is updated on it considering the k came out far before that. the msi website said i had the most recent bios update besides one for windows 11 that came out a few weeks ago. i have also updated it with all the specs, forgot sorry

Hi, I have a very odd situation that I haven't seen before and no forums talk about something to this degree. I recently bought an i5 9600k to upgrade my i3 8300. I first tried an i5 9600kf but a similar situation was happening where it would boot but no display would show and peripherals would not light up. I returned that one and got the 9600k instead and there are some differences but overall the same. With the 9600k in, the pc boots, all fans work, AND mouse/keyboard light up, but no display shows. Normally with this issue there would be no mouse/kb light but mine light up just fine as a normal startup its just missing the display. Without doing anything to the setup, if i swap the 9600k for the 8300 (old processor) it boots perfectly fine without zero issues. Its when i put the 9600k back in that this same thing happens. Ive used viper ddr4 ram up until today where I decided to get 16gb of corsair vengeance pro (2 8gb sticks) and have been using that with similar results. Ive tried pretty much everything at this point. Ive reset cmos, checked all ram slots (theyre all giving the same no display with 1 in, 2 in, or 0 in, etc.), unplugged everything and tried to get a display and so many other things. I also checked my bios status and it was the most recent one but just for good measure I reinstalled the required bios for my cpu on the msi website for my motherboard. Nothing has fixed this. It just sits as if the pc is fully on and working but just no display. No boot loops nothing, all normal without display. All cords are plugged in as they should be as it boots up perfectly with the i3. Any help would be appreciated. 

i3 8300 (old)
I5 9600k (new)
Gtx 950 SC+
16 gb ddr4 corsair pro ram
Msi z390 a pro
Cooler master fans/cooler
Kingston 240gb ssd
2tb WB HDD

What BIOS version is installed on the motherboard? 9600KF and 9600K R0 stepping needs at leats BIOS V15. 9600K P0 stepping should work with V10.

7 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

What BIOS version is installed on the motherboard? 9600KF and 9600K R0 stepping needs at leats BIOS V15. 9600K P0 stepping should work with V10.

yes directly from the z390 a pro msi website the 9600k requires the v15 file which I uploaded to a usb and changed my bios version to that and still the same issue

Clear cmos, try the card in another slot.

55 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Clear cmos, try the card in another slot.

Thank God that somehow worked. My gpu was in the upper slot and when i swapped it to the lower and reset cmos, it booted right up with display. no where on any forum online did it mention that it could be caused by not changing the slot, and since it worked perfect with the old cpu it didn’t come to mind. THANK YOU! 

7 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

What is the actual rated clockspeed of the kit? If 2700MHz was an *overclock*, there's no way in hell you're getting all the way to 4600MHz+. That would be an amazing overclock, even if they were rated for 4000MHz. I'm of course assuming you're not just talking about XMP. That is itself an overclock, but one that's already validated.

As far as getting your files goes. Your best option is probably going to be booting off Linux on a USB drive and mounting your Windows drive. That will let you get any files you need off, at least.

My bad, the amazon listing was very misleading. The images show it rated for 4600mhz+ but the actual one that was ordered was 3200MHZ. regardless, with a 2700 OC what issue would cause a windows meltdown? also wouldn’t it just be better to install windows to another ssd and boot off that one, then transfer important files and reinstall on the old one? is there a problem with that?

1 hour ago, AvenHere said:

My bad, the amazon listing was very misleading. The images show it rated for 4600mhz+ but the actual one that was ordered was 3200MHZ. regardless, with a 2700 OC what issue would cause a windows meltdown? also wouldn’t it just be better to install windows to another ssd and boot off that one, then transfer important files and reinstall on the old one? is there a problem with that?

Well, it depends on how you set the clockspeed. For 3200MHz, you shouldn't need to do anything more than just enable XMP and go. The fact that you set it to anything specifically seems to indicate you didn't do that. There's timings and voltages that have to change along with the clockspeed. That's what the XMP profiles are for.

As for getting your files off, sure you could do it that way as well. The Linux way is just so you wouldn't necessarily need to install anything else, and wouldn't need an additional drive. All you'd need is a thumb drive.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse