How the heck do i choose a cpu?

I'm trying to build a pc (plus monitor and peripherals) that won't exceed my budget of £1900 and i'm not sure what cpu to get.

Given that both AMD and Intel are about to announce new CPUs, right now is not the best time to be buying, but if it helps, either company is offering solid performance at fairly reasonable prices right now.

What do you want to do with your computer?

Yeah, AMD just announced Ryzen 7 5800X3D 

First "3d cache" CPU... might be worth waiting for benchmark results.

I edit my posts more often than not

Id just wait untill intel amd and maybe nvidia release they're new cpu and graphics card

What types of things do you need it to do? Is it just for gaming, productivity, or both? What types of games? What types of applications? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

If it IS just for gaming, acquire a GPU first.

Then come back and figure out which CPU to use with it.

Maybe by the time you find one, the new CPUs will be out anyway.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 minutes ago, HWythwew said:

Id just wait untill intel amd and maybe nvidia release they're new cpu and graphics card

Don't wait, just buy something in your budget.  

There is nothing wrong with any of the current or even last Gen components.

The gpu shortage has made getting one impossible, so waiting won't help either.  

Monitors aren't cheap either. 

28 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Given that both AMD and Intel are about to announce new CPUs, right now is not the best time to be buying, but if it helps, either company is offering solid performance at fairly reasonable prices right now.

What do you want to do with your computer?

I mostly want to game on it and maybe some light editing and possibly streaming

16 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

If it IS just for gaming, acquire a GPU first.

Then come back and figure out which CPU to use with it.

Maybe by the time you find one, the new CPUs will be out anyway.

Ok i was thinking something between an rtx 3070 and 3080 but prices are too high rn for me to buy anything without compensating with cheaper components elsewhere. Thanks for the advice i will keep that in mind.

1 hour ago, MogMcPog said:

That sounds like a good use case for a 12600K from Intel. You could also consider a 12700K or 5800X/5900X from AMD. If you need more room in the budget to compensate for the insane GPU pricing, the upcoming i5 12400 is probably the way to, or a previous generation i5 10400/11400 or i7 10700/11700 could make sense. All of this depends on the pricing at the time, which has unfortunately been a bit volatile.

14 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

That sounds like a good use case for a 12600K from Intel. You could also consider a 12700K or 5800X/5900X from AMD. If you need more room in the budget to compensate for the insane GPU pricing, the upcoming i5 12400 is probably the way to, or a previous generation i5 10400/11400 or i7 10700/11700 could make sense. All of this depends on the pricing at the time, which has unfortunately been a bit volatile.

Thanks, i will probably go with the i7 12700k just to make sure my build is a bit more future proof.

1 hour ago, MogMcPog said:

For gaming alone, you'll be fine with most any 4-6 core CPU. If the particular game is CPU heavy or an eSports title or something you're going to be pushing at an exceptionally high frame rate with, you'll want something more top of the line. Not necessarily more cores, but 11th/12th gen Intel or Ryzen 5000 series.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

For gaming alone, you'll be fine with most any 4-6 core CPU. If the particular game is CPU heavy or an eSports title or something you're going to be pushing at an exceptionally high frame rate with, you'll want something more top of the line. Not necessarily more cores, but 11th/12th gen Intel or Ryzen 5000 series.

Ok i'll keep that in mind, do you think that i should save a bit more and go with a ryzen 7 3800x?

29 minutes ago, MogMcPog said:

Ok i'll keep that in mind, do you think that i should save a bit more and go with a ryzen 7 3800x?

If the 3800X is more expensive than a 12700K, don't touch it. The 5800X isn't even as good as the 12700K, let alone the 3800X.

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

If the 3800X is more expensive than a 12700K, don't touch it. The 5800X isn't even as good as the 12700K, let alone the 3800X.

It's slightly cheaper in uk but i'll stick with the 12700k since thats a more future proof option.

3 hours ago, MogMcPog said:

Was that supposed to be "5800X"? If you literally meant 3800X, then no. I wouldn't get that particular chip at all. If 5800X, perhaps. The extra cores may come in handy if you eventually need to do heavier productivity workloads, or for things like streaming. It's not strictly necessary for what you're going to be doing with it, though.